chapter 56

recap- there was a knock at the door. I went to answer it and sam was there. "Hey... Be- Bella I need to talk to y-you" sam said between sobs. I walked outside and sat down with him.

---

"what's wrong?" I asked concerned. "it's... bella im so sorry... i... we went out and we were drunk... i was trying to be the sensible one... but i was too drunk and-" he was cut off by my phone. "hang on" i looked at the caller ID and it was 'Emergency'. my heart stopped and i froze. i put the phone up to my ear. "he- hello?" i asked. "am i speaking to "Isabella Suto?" the man on the other side of the phone. "umm yes but its now Horan. has something happened?" i asked. "im very sorry but your brother was rushed to hospital early this morning. he had a car crash and died on scene. im very sorry for your loss. if there is anything you need please contact us" he said. "uhhh.... no.... uhh i have to go." i said and hung up.

"That's what you came here for?" i asked. "bella. we were both drunk. im really sorry" he said and went to hug me. i just stayed still and let him hug me. after a few seconds i hugged him and when he let go, i collapsed onto my knees and started crying. "Do you want me to get niall?" he asked. i quickly got up and tried to wipe my face from my tears. "uhh no.....  i umm.. do you want to stay for the party?" i asked him. "no its okay. but who is Scarlet with?" he asked. "uhh she is with my grandma" i said. "Look, come over tomorrow. okay?" he asked. i just nodded not trusting my words at the moment. "ill see you tomorrow okay. love you bell bell" he said and kissed my head.

i walked inside and i didn't realise nearly everyone had arrived. i quickly ran upstairs and washed my face. i reapplied my mascara and eye liner. i walked down stairs and got 4 vodka shots. i downed them all and got a strange look from niall. "you okay babe?" he asked. "yeah... uhh can we talk when everyone has gone home?" i asked. "of course love, anything for you" he said and kissed my cheek. i smiled slightly, and got a beer and shouted "To Ashlee!!!!!" and everyone cheered. "Bella. thankyou for setting this up" ashlee said and hugged me. a tear slipped and ashlee pulled away quickly. "Whats wrong?" she asked. "it's nothing. you know im just an emotional person" i say and laugh it off. she looked at me funny. "okay how much have you had to drink?" she asked. "Uhhh so far four vodka shots and a beer" i said. "Bella. slow down!" she said. "but its your birthday!"i shouted and everyone cheered again.  

*Ashlee's P.O.V*

when sam turned up, he was crying. i didn't want to invade their privacy, so i just let them talk. "hey do you know why sam is here?" i asked niall. "uhh no not sure. is he here?" he asked. "yeah and he was crying. bella went to talk to him" i explained. "oh uhh i have no idea why he is here" he said. "but isn't jarrod supposed to be here?" he asked. "i  think so, but he said something about going out with sam last night, so maybe he has crashed at his house and has a hang over" i said. "yeah. lets just wait till she comes back" he said and handed me a glass of soda. "this sucks. i cant drink on my 21st" i said pouting. "haha but i can" he said and drank some beer.

"happy birthday babe" harry said and kissed my cheek. he placed his hand on  my thigh and moved it up slowly. "Harry. wait till youre home" niall said. "babe when does this party finish?" harry asked. "when the last leave. and we are sleeping here" i said and kissed his cheek and 'accidently' brushed my hand over his crutch. "tease" he said and got a beer.

*Niall's P.O.V*

after Ashlee and harry went off, i waited in the kitchen for Bella. almost everyone has turned up. except for Jarrod. I decided to ring him. ring... "hey sorry I didn't catch ya. im probably with my girlfriend now so leave a message. later." *Beeeeeeep* his message said. "hey man. just wanting to know if you're coming tonight. Sam came over crying, but i'm guessing you're hung over, so ill just see you later. bye" I said and hung up. I had another swing of my beer and zayn and Louis came over. "Hey where is Bella and Jarrod?" Louis asked. "oh i'm guessing Jarrod is hung over from last night and Bella is outside talking to Sam" I explained. "oh okay. pass us a beer" zayn said pointing to the beer. I handed them both a bottle, and I heard the front door open and close. i waited for Bella to come into the kitchen, but she didn't. I opened the front door and i saw Sam punch a tree. i got into his car and drove away. there was a note on the front porch so i put it into the door at the entrance. i walked back into the kitchen and bella lined up four shots. she downed them all. i stood there.

she looked at me and grabbed a beer. she looked broken. maybe i should have read the note.  "you okay babe?" I asked. "yeah... uhh can we talk when everyone has gone home?" she asked. "of course love, anything for you" i said and kissed her cheek. she smiled but i could tell it was fake, and got a beer and shouted "To Ashlee!!!!!" i knew what she needed to talk about was serious.

*Bella's P.O.V*

i can believe jarrod is dead. i don't think i can make it through the night. im going to have to be careful.

-after the party-

"Hey did you want to go outside to talk?" niall asked me. i don't know how im going to say this to him. "uhh... -tear- yeah" i answered. "hey, don't cry babe" he said and wiped away my tear. i just pushed my self into his and cried into his chest. "Bella. hey hey look at me." niall said. he lifted my head with his index finder. "lets go outside" he said but i couldn't move. i was frozen. he picked me up, just and the others came down stairs. i buried my head into his neck.

as we went outside, it was like my mouth had a mind of its own. "Jarrod died". he just looked at me. "good joke" he said. but he started to go silent. he kept looking at me. "please tell me you are joking" he said and put his hand on mine. "I wish i was. i don't want him to be gone. his girl- omg his girlfriend, ive got to call her" i got up but he pulled me back down. "we've got to talk to the others" he said and we went inside.