25.3

I walked to the door and opened it.

And boy, am I in for a ride...

"Louise?"

"I know, I'm sorry for coming unannounced again. Can I talk to you?" She was already about to cry. Oh my.

"Okay. But you see, -- " She cuts me off so hindi ko matuloy.

"No, don't say anything. I just want you to listen."

"I know pero kasi –"

"Please. I won't take much of your time." She was holding on to my arm now.

"Okay." Wala nako magawa.

"I know, we've never been close friends. We just never had the chance. Tapos naging boyfriend ko pa ex mo. So I understand." I wonder where this is going.

"Pero I just want you to know that I'm sorry. For everything that I have done. I didn't mean to fall in love with the same man and break namana kayo nun diba." I am so lost. Is she drunk or something? Where is this comng from. But I don't dare speak para matapos na 'to. I just keep nodding.

"You of all people know how special Richard is and how lucky any girl is to be with him. You should know by now that we are going through a tough time as a couple. I am begging you to give me time to fight for us." Oh shit, that's it. I can't just stand here and listen, I have to say something.

"Louise whatever you and Richard are going through is just between you two. Labas ako dun. But I know, I know it's over between you two. But I don't take against you nor will I judge you for anything."

"No Maine. Never ka naman naging labas sa relationship namin eh. You were always a party to it. I always had to compete against you and that's what I have been doing from the start." She was shaking now.

"I don't get what you're saying. What do you mean? You're not competing with me Louise, you're not competing with anyone in that relationship. It was only between you two."

"No no no, I always competed with you and every single time I had to, I would win. I don't know what changed when all of a sudden, I couldn't beat you." I am getting so confused.

"Please explain. I am really not getting it. What you're trying to say."

When she was about to explain again. Richard came from behind me.

"Meng, sino yan dumating?"

Louise right away recognized his voice. She looked at me, "Hindi mo man lang ako binigyan ng chance pero okay lang, hindi ka naman magtatagal dito eh. Babalik rin sakin yan."

"Louise? What are you doing here?"

"Kating kati ka ba makasama si Maine?"

"Louise, umuwi ka na."

"Alam mo naman, iiwan ka lang ulit niyan babe, tapos babalik ka lang rin sakin." She gave him a wink and left. How creepy.

When she was gone, humarap bigla si Richard sakin, checking on me. I guess looking at my face to get a clue of what was running in my mind. "I'm fine." I walked back to the dining and I know he is following me.

When we were both seated. "I'm really sorry, you should have called me."

"She does have a point, you know." I begin.

"About what?"

"I won't be here long. You know I'm only here for the break and that I am going back to the city again, where my life is."

"So? I know that."

"So I am leaving again. Ganyan ka lang kasi easy pa ngayon, pero when reality kicks in again, ano na? Why not try to fix things with Louise, baka confused ka nga lang.."

"That was my mistake before. Sarili ko lang naman niloko ko eh. I already told you, me and Louise, we're done. Wala na yun."

"But so are we. Wala na ring tayo."

"Iba na tayong dalawa ngayon compared to yung tayo before. Bata pa tayo nuon, don't you want to give our more mature adult selves a chance?"

Natawa ako dito. Hindi ko alam bakit, pero natawa ako. "Are you hearing yourself? My life is there, and yours is here. You're right, we are different people now."

"Here mo naman gusto mag settle someday diba?"

"So? I have no idea kailan pa yun. Ano yun, hintay ka lang sakin dito?"

"Oo. Iba na nga ngayon Meng, diba? Tsaka malay mo, pwede rin naman ako sumunod sayo kahit san ka pa."

"Pano kung naghihintay ka lang pala sa wala? Ayoko nag aadjust ka para lang sakin. You have your own life and I have my own."

"Problema ko na yun. Pero I want you to know. Iba na ngayon. Hindi na tayo mga bata, diba nga. Basta huwag mo ko problemahin. Decisions ko 'to. Decisions mo ang pag isipan mo. Decisions like when you'll have me back." Tapos ngumiti si gago. Nagpapacute.

I rolled my eyes at him.

Bigla siyang nag seryoso ulit. "Pero seryoso Meng, huwag mo ko problemahin. Promise mo na lang sakin na iisipin mo ko palagi." Hindi na niya napigilan yung ngiti niya.

Putek pinagtritripan ako nito ah. Gusto niya ganyanan ah, game. Nag seryoso rin ako, I looked at him straight in the eyes.

"Alam mo. Sa totoo lang dahil sa mga paganyan ganyan mo unti unti nakong.." I reached out my hand, tapos kinurot ko yung mga taba taba niya sa tiyan. "Nagugutom. Kuha lang ako pagkain, gusto mo?"

"Chansing ka ah!" Nung tumayo nako, bigla siyang natawa. Kaya napatingin nako sakanya, tapos sinabi niya, "Ikaw ha, iniisip mo na pala yung future natin ha."

"Asa ka pa Chard."

"Ano nga ulit?" Nagpapacute. Kala niya madadaan niya ko sa mga ganyan?

I just ignored him and shook my head. Nakakainis.

Naiinis pero bakit ka nakangiti Meng, yung totoo.