54

Every year for five years now, I find myself in this cemetery. It was her 5th death anniversary. That dreadful day seemed just like yesterday. If there was anything I can do to change the outcome of that day, the lord knows that I would.

I kneel down to try to clear the dust and leaves that cover her memorial plaque. I also wipe away the tear that escaped my eye.

I was having a moment when a cute little boy made his way to me and put flowers over her grave and a candle that he asked me to light for him.

"Sorry we're late." I stand up to greet her and helped her with more flowers and grabbed from her the picnic basket she was carrying. "Ito kasing si Baste, gusto ata ubusin yung flowers dun sa flower shop eh."

She hugs me tight. Oh, she knows me too well and I cry on her shoulder.

"I'm sorry Menggay ha."

"Chard ano ba. Every year na lang tayong ganito."

"Oo nga po Daddy, baka masad si Ate niyan if you always cry when we visit her."

I just look at my little boy and can't help but smile. Menggay wiped away the tears on my face. "O narinig mo yun, sariling anak mo na ang nagsalita."

I kissed Meng bigla. Hay sobrang mahal ko kayo.

"Dad, not in front of me and Ate!" I laughed at this and went to Basta and carried him. "Ikaw, gusto mo rin ng kiss bebe?" Then I put him down and tickled him.

"Dad, stop, kiliti." He could barely talk cause he was laughing so much.

Meng sat beside us around Athena's grave. With Baste on my lap, I put my arm around Meng and kissed her on the head.

"I love you so much Menggay."

"I love you too Chard."

"What about me?" Our not so little Baste would interrupt.

We showered our little boy with kisses. "Syempre love rin namin kayo!"

We may have lost Athena that day but we know she has been our guardian angel all these years looking down at us smiling.

"Always remember daddy will do everything for us four." I told them while we were all cuddled up with each other.

Meng, sat up straight removing my arm over her and combed Baste's hair and then mine. "Correction love, us five."

I looked at her and she just smiled sweetly with tears in her eyes. "I'm preganant."

I grabbed her face, I couldn't speak. Nakanganga lang ako the whole time with a stupid smile on my face.

"What what, what was that mommy?" Baste stood up and went to Meng.

Meng held Baste, "You will soon be a Kuya, baby boy."

"Really mommy?"

"Yes baby boy, really really." Then Baste hugged Meng. This time it was Meng who was on my lap as I wrapped my arms around her, moving my hands gently up and down her belly.

Baste started kissing her belly, even talking to the baby this early. "Is it a baby brother or baby sister mommy?"

"I don't know yet bebe."

"I don't care, boy or girl, we will be the best kuya and ate in the world."

Meng reached for Baste and kissed him and Baste hugged us both. We were all just laughing. I thank god everyday for giving me Menggay and my kids.

Posible palang ma-in love ng paulit ulit. I was in love with my kids just as much as I was with Menggay. Pero syempre number one ang aking beloved wife. I love this scene. Meng was leaning on to me, resting her head on my neck and shoulder, while Baste was on her lap and I was hugging her from behind.

I gave out a contented sigh that made Meng look at me. She grabbed my face and gave a soft kiss on my lips. No words. That simple gesture was enough to let me know that she was feeling the exact same thing I was.

We stayed like that and waited for the sun to set.

THE END.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you so much for everyone who has been with me and this story from the start. You have no idea how much I appreciate you all. Thank you for keeping up. Ever since I started to write this story, I always envisioned it to have a happy ending! I wasn't going to allow it to not end with a happily ever after.

This story is very precious to me more than you will ever know. Thank you again for hanging on, and most of all, thank you for reading.

Abangan ang next story natin, there has been something on my mind since last week, but we will just have to wait and see. This story is too close to my heart that I had a hard time to let go of it, which is also why I have had difficulties in ending it. But here we are...

I hope you enjoyed.. Til next time, friends!

- Alice Case