Five

Sam's P.O.V
"Mom, Dad, I'm home!" I yelled when I entered my house. After taking my shoes off and placing them with the others, there was still no response. Scratching my head in confusion, I walked through the hall and into the living room, happy to finally relax. I stepped through the threshold and threw my backpack on the couch. As I grabbed the remote for the television, I heard a pair of footsteps coming down the hallway. "Then we'll just have to persuade her." A male voice said. "We know how stubborn she is." I heard a sigh and then my mom and dad walked into the room.

My mom had her arms crossed over her chest, as if she had received some troubling information. What, are we moving again? I looked over to my dad and saw that he was rubbing the back of his neck. He only did this when he knew I wouldn't like what he had to say. I hope it wasn't about school. Knowing that they wanted to talk, I placed the remote back down and sat next to my backpack. After a moment of silence, I asked, "Do you guys need to tell me something?" They looked at each other and sat on the couch opposite of me.

My dad put his arm over my mom's shoulders and crossed his legs. I know this position very well. This was the same position they used on me when they broke the news about the move. I sighed and slouched into the couch. I knew this place was too good to be true. Besides the fact that me and Courtney had some issues in the beginning, there were some good qualities about this place. Having my own room, the new school, being neighbors with Courtney, and that guy from music class. What was his name? Baekhyun?

I started blushing just by thinking of him. The way his body radiated off confidence. The way he talked without waver. The way he naturally took the attention of the class. He was just so interesting. He was just so mysterious. He was just so out of my league. I mean come on. Why would a guy like him talk to me? When reality hit me in the face, I noticed that my parents were talking to me. "We are going to have some guests coming over for dinner tonight." My mom said. "What do you mean by guests?" I asked.

"Our co-workers and their kids are coming. Along with your friend and her mother." Said my dad. "We need you to be on your best behavior for tonight." He looked over at my mom and tipped his head. She nodded back and got up from the couch. She walked over to me and placed her hand on my shoulder. "Honey listen. I know that you hate meeting new people, but we need you to do this. You won't regret it."

Wait. Is this why they were acting like the world was about to end? Because they thought I wouldn't behave well? "Alright, but why are you acting like I'm going to murder them?" I questioned. She rubbed my shoulder and gave me a sad smile. "We know how you are around strangers. We're your parents." I huffed and shrugged her hand off. It's true that I don't like strangers. Having to let someone you don't know judge you, that's the worst feeling in the world. The only reason why me and Courtney are friends is because we knew each other since birth.

This is different though. The dinner is for my parent's job. So them assuming that I would mess this up really hurt me. "Don't worry mom. I won't fuck this up." I felt bad for cursing at her, but I wanted to show how pained I was. After seeing her shocked face, I got up and grabbed my backpack from beside me. "I'll be in my room." I walked passed her and before I could go in the hall, she grabbed my wrist and spun me around. "Can I please just-" Without letting me finish my sentence, her hand came across my face and a loud slap echoed in the room.

"Dianna!" My dad got up from the couch and ran to my mom. He grabbed her arms and held her against his chest. "What the hell?!" He yelled. After registering what had happened, I lifted my hand and felt my cheek. It was warm, signaling that there would be a mark on there later on. The sting wasn't too bad, but the pain was enough for it to be noticeable. I looked back at my mom and saw that she was glaring at me.