Twenty Five

Sam's P.O.V
"Baekhyun! Stop!" I screamed. I ran through the woods as fast as I could, dashing between trees to gain some ground. My breathing became pants and sweat formed on my face. Since I was too busy checking behind me, I didn't notice the humongous tree branch on the ground. "Oomph!" I tripped over the branch and fell on my stomach. Groaning, I closed my eyes, rolled over and laid on my back. Footsteps could be heard running to me. I felt a presence above me and knew instantly who it was.

"Are you alright?" The deep voice asked. I opened my eyes and smiled when I saw Baekhyun. "I guess I suck at tag." I laughed. He chuckled and helped me off the ground. I dusted the dirt from my body and faced him. "I win." He teased. I slapped his arm and started to walk away. He quickly caught up and threw his arm over my shoulder. I shivered from the sparks and wrapped my arm around his waist. "Let's head on to the clearing." I said. "They're probably wondering where we've been." He looked down at me and nodded. "Good idea. Courtney is probably wanting to head home."

I forgot all about Courtney. I prayed that she wasn't mad at me. We continued our path through the forest not saying a word to each other. It was quiet. Not quiet as in awkward, but quiet as in enjoying one another's company. That didn't last long though. I quickly thought of something to ask Baekhyun. "So...since we have some time, can you explain the whole mate thing?" He looked towards me and smiled. "Of course. What's your first question?" What was my first question? I thought for a bit before speaking up. "Well, first off, what is a mate?" He didn't waste a second to respond.

"A mate is someone that you can't live without. They're essentially your other half. That's where the term 'soul mate' comes from." I nodded, understanding what he was getting at. "How do you know who your mate is?" I asked. He said, "Obviously, one way is by the sparks they feel when they touch. You can only feel that with your mate. Another way is by smell. Your mate has a specific smell that will put you in a trance." He bit his lip and continued. "When you walked into that classroom on the first day of school, I instantly knew you were the one." I blushed and tried to hide my face with my hands.

"Don't say such things. Someone could hear you." I mumbled. He shook his head. "I don't care. I've been waiting for you my whole life." He kissed my hands and pulled them away from my face. I shyly looked up at him and gave him a quick smile. I noticed the clearing coming into view and quickened my pace. But right before we broke through, we were stopped in our tracks when a wolf ran in front of us. It was small and white, with deep brown eyes. It's fur was a mess and it had little scratches here and there. It looked at me, as if studying how I would react. It then turned its attention to Baekhyun. "No worries." He said. "She already knows."

The wolf nodded and its body started to shift. I hid my face in Baekhyun's chest, not wanting to witness the transformation again. He rubbed my head, showing that he understood how I felt. After the noises were gone, I looked back and saw D.O standing before us. His hair was everywhere, looking like how a cloud is formed. From where I was standing, I could see that the scratches were on his arms and face. I wondered how he got them. "I'm glad Baekhyun finally grew the balls to confess to you." D.O joked. I chuckled while Baekhyun mumbled profanities under his breath. "I'm glad he did. It shows that he trusts me." I smiled. D.O pointed behind him and said, "I think everyone is starting to pack up. I'm going to go join them."

He ran ahead of us as I grabbed Baekhyun's hand to continue walking. At the clearing, people were indeed starting to pack up. Krystal and her group must of left already because they were no where to be seen. At the table, I saw Taeyong sitting in one of the chairs. He was waiting for the rest of his friends to grab their belongings. I looked over towards the river and saw that Baekhyun's friends were sitting on the ground chatting away. What was weird was that Courtney wasn't with either of them. "Have you seen Courtney?" I questioned Baekhyun. He thought for a bit then answered with, "Nope. I've been too focused on you." I sighed in frustration and kicked the ground.