iv

OCTOBER 2ND, 1988.

It was Tuesday and I'm already tired in the first period of Global History. Unfortunately, Jada, Q, Pac or any of the boys weren't here in my first class, but Regina and her little pack of friends was.

They have been bothering me ever since I came in and it's worse since Jada wasn't by my side. We were all waiting for the teacher, Mr Rogers, since he always come late ever since the first week of school.

I felt something like paper thrown at the back of my neck. I picked it and it was a ball of paper, it had something nasty written on the paper but then i threw it back on the ground as I heard Regina's giggles from the back.

"Bitch, pick that up." Regina says in a impolite tone, as a few more than 8 people went quiet when she talked.

I ignored her comment and continued to look over my homework. I heard a chair sqeal and footsteps ahead my way. Then, I saw Regina's hand grabbing my homework paper and ripping it up.

"I know you fucking heard me, Bitch. Pick that shit up." Regina said as some people still stared.

"No." I replied as i pretended to read at my history textbook.

She then knocked the book down to the floor, "fuck you said?" She barked at me as other people oohed and giggled.

I was really trying hard not to cry right now, it doesn't mean i'm sad, I'm just trying not to beat her ass at this time of the day.

The teacher walked in with his suitcase, "Regina, Why are you out of your seat?"

"Um, this new girl ripped my homework paper up and she tried to fight me." Regina said as she pointed at me.

"What?" I said to her.

"Girl, don't be lying cause I saw what the hell you did. Y'all saw what she did right?" Regina questioned as she glanced around the class. Almost the whole entire class nodded in agreement.

"Nia-"

"Mr. Rogers! I never did anything! She literally came up to me and ripped my paper up, then dropped my textbook!"

"Hol' up, bih. Since when did I do that? Did anybody witness me knocking down books or ripping paper up?" Regina questioned once again.

Everyone stayed silent this time, "Let me say it again. Did any of y'all motherfuckers saw my knocking down books or ripping paper?"

"First, Regina is language. Second, I can sense that you are lying since you are telling the class if you did it or not."

"Wait, so you're saying that I'm lying?" Regina says in a state of shock.

"I guess so, but we should not waste our time on this. It's too early, everyone's tired, and we don't have time for the tomfoolery. But anyways, Nia since your homework has been ruined, you won't get a missing homework slip but make it up by Thursday."

"This is bullshit! You dick riding her because she's new!" Regina yelled at Mr Rogers.

"Regina. Please, sit." He said as he hand gestured Regina to sit back to her seat. She turned around and gave me a mean mug, which signals that this isn't gonna be the last of her, and something wicked is coming for me.

*****

It was time to switch to 3rd period. All the boys were downstairs practicing for tonight's game and I saw Jada closing her lockers.

"Hey, sis." I said to her. Jada was smiling and she was trying to hide her teeth, "Hey, boo."

"Why you keep smiling for?" I questioned.