Insanity (5)

5- Dance for Me

Stephanie~

"Mrs.Gonzalez said we weren't allowed to go to the gym," I mumbled.

"Trust me. It'll be fun," Scott said.

He tugged my hand and tried pulling me inside the gym. Of course, he failed. My feet were glued to the floor.

Today was the same as Wednesday because the lockdown lasted all day. X-Ray was getting interrogated, so we had to survive by eating some jolly ranchers Eli had brought. Now that a school and the lockdown are over, Scott wants me to go to the gym with him.

"Oh, and remember today we're going to the movies!" Scott reminded me.

"About that, I don't think I can go today. Turns out I have a competition," I apologized. My coach was the forgetful, last minute type. I wish she could've told me there was going to be a competition earlier so I would have practiced more. "I would've told you sooner, but I barely found out today."

Scott's face fell. "But I had already bought the tickets!"

I sighed and tried my best to not feel guilty. "Scott, look, I'm really sorry, but you should have known before you asked me out that I'm a really busy person. What I suggest you do is sell the tickets, and you can come cheer me on at the competition."

I expected him to argue over how much money he spent on the tickets, and how long he waited for this day. Instead, he yanked me inside the gym and shoved me to the center. He sat down on the lowest bleacher and rested him hand on his chin.

"Dance for me," he ordered.

"I need music," I whispered loud enough for him to hear. He took out his new phone and went to youtube. I knew it was a new phone because during the lockdown he kept bragging about how he got a new phone and how it was better than everyone's. I bet he bought it off Ebay.

I expected calm piano music, but then I remembered he was Scott. He highered the volume all the way up and played I Hate Everything About You by Three Days Grace. I cocked my head to the side and crossed my arms.

"If you're so good at dancing, you should be able to dance to anything," Scott said.

I slipped off my shoes, since I dance better in socks. I sighed and closed my eyes. I never danced to music like this before. I've danced to no music, music in another language, and music that I really didn't like.

As I danced, I thought I was doing something wrong. Usually, I didn't even have to try when dancing. I just closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and let my body do all the work. Now, I felt like I was trying too hard. I jumped and spun in the air. I opened my eyes when I realized I wasn't going to land on my feet. I landed on my butt and in pain.

Scott turned off his music and began to slow clap. He walked over to me, still with his slow clap.

"I mean, you tried," Scott muttered, a smirk on his face.

"It's because of-"

Before I could finish, Scott snapped his fingers and yelled, "What was that you said about a competition?"

My eyes widened with fear and  realization. I had completely forgotten about that.

I sat up and winced in pain. Scott pulled me up.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

A second after the announcer called out my name, my coach pulled me by my arm and gave me some advice.