Insanity (14)

14- Just a little broken
Ariel~

"You guys know I participated in the photography contest, right?" Jared said.

I scoffed and crossed my arms. "What do you know about photography."

Jared rose his arms slightly in the air in a way of self defense. "Calm down. I only submitted a picture as a joke. It's a picture of a blurry window."

Our school holds these photography contests every few months. I, no matter how many times I say I won't, always end up joining. Usually, they have competitions on Friday to compete with students from other schools. I go to those too. But I never win. Not even last place. I've decided that I will quit today.

Mrs. Ferrell came back on the loudspeaker.

"Attention, students! I have the winner for the photography contest. Everyone give a round of applause to student Jared Castellanos! He submitted a picture of a blurry window. It has so much meaning and it just deserves to be recognized. The photography teacher said it means that you can try to look at the future, but it's never going to be the way you expect it to be. Very well done, Jared. Students, please, contact your parents."

I stood up from my chair and left the room without speaking a word. Jared just gave me another reason to quit. I give up.

Mr. Lewiston's door was open, so I didn't have to knock. He was talking to a student, but he saw me, ended the conversation and walked over to me. I had to make it sound casual.

"So, there's a competition this Friday," I started.

"Oh," he said, "I didn't sign you up for that competition."

Ouch.

"No, no. It's good. I just came here to say that I quit," I announced.

"There's no need for that! I can always put you as an alternate."

Alternate? What the hell?! That's like saying I'm not good enough. My breathing got heavier than before. I was clearly upset, and it wasn't easy trying to hide it.

"It's good," I said, starting to make my way out the door. "I quit."

However, before I left the room, Mr. Lewiston stopped me by saying, "Jared got first place."

"I know," I grumbled.

"Look, Ariel," Mr. Lewiston started. "You have a talent, I know that. But Jared's entry had a story to it."

I placed a hand over my heart to show him that I was offended. "You're saying my picture didn't have a story?"

For my whole life, photography has been the only thing I'm good at. It's my escape from the real world. Every picture I take has a story behind it. Apparently not everyone sees it.

Mr. Lewiston placed my picture and Jared's picture side by side so he could compare them. Mine was of a sun setting at the beach. Jared's was of a window. The way I saw it, mine was way better.

"What story is there to tell in your picture?" Mr. Lewiston asked, looking directly at me in an almost intimidating way.

I felt a knot in my throat. At that moment, I blanked out. No words came out from my mouth. He was right. There is no story. So I responded to his question by shrugging.

He seemed to have noticed my expression, so he tried to make me feel better by saying, "It's a really good picture. It has everything but a story. If I have to be honest, you should've gotten first place. It's one of the most original pictures submitted."