Insanity (8)

8- Intruder Alert

Ariel~

I was in a great mood for some odd reason. Maybe it's because I actually got a decent amount of sleep last night. By that I mean ten more minutes than the usual. I was in such a good mood that I even had a somewhat normal conversation with Paisley, a.k.a my gossip buddy.

"I think it was fifth grade when she pushed me off my chair," Paisley said. She tapped her head excessively with her index finger, which was something she did often when she needed to remember something. "Yeah, it was definitely fifth grade. She was a lot ruder back then than she is now."

For the past who knows how many minutes we had been talking about all the bad qualities Ruby had. Paisley was the only person other than me who had a strong hatred towards Ruby. Many people - by that I mean Jared - have told me I'm just jealous of Ruby. But if anyone knows what jealousy is, it's me. What I feel towards Ruby is not even close to jealousy.

"And what's really annoying," I admitted, "Is that no matter how many times she did something wrong, she'd never get in trouble for it because her mom was the principal."

"Exactly!" Paisley agreed. "And now her mom followed her to High School and is the soccer coach."

"And she's always complaining about never being in a relationship when she has a single, somewhat healthy, attractive, and talented best friend with a weird name who would honestly look really cute if he were dating her -"

One of the security guards blew his whistle loudly enough to damage a student's hearing. Everyone loitering in the hallways walked quickly to their class, since we weren't allowed to run in the hallways and all.

"Head to your third period!" He shouted.

I have third period with Paisley, so we decided to walk together and gossip about Ruby. That is, until Ruby came running towards us, frantically waving her hands.

"Have you guys seen X-Ray?!" She asked. The girl was overprotective when it came to X-Ray. She didn't care about anyone else. And then she wonders why she doesn't have more friends. If she were more like me, she'd be a magnet.

Paisley grinned and chuckled under her breath. "He's with Aaron."

I sighed. Because of something that happened in seventh grade, Paisley couldn't stop shipping X-Ray with Aaron. The ship died last year, but she's determined to bring it back from the dead this year.

"He's not with Aaron, Paisley," Ruby mumbled. Then she looked at me. I could see the fear in her eyes. "I haven't seen him since Friday and I'm scared something happened to him too."

She said this because word spread about Kyle's tragic death. No one is allowed to go outside now. There's police tape wrapped around the bleachers. The police said they will be able to find out the intruder because of Kyle's death. I hope they find the intruder soon because it's getting frustrating sitting in a crammed spot in a room with no food or restrooms for eight hours.

"I'm sure he's fine," I said. I knew it wasn't much, but I still tried. I've never been good at comforting people. Ruby's a "pro" at that. "Let's just go to class."

It was a silent, awkward walk to third period. Some kids were already in class, but most weren't. Ruby pushed us out of the way because she saw X-Ray sitting at his usual spot. She ran to him and gave him a hug that looked like she hadn't seen him in years. I hate to admit it, but I felt a little jealous watching that happen.

"I thought you were dead!" Ruby shouted.

It took everything in me not to roll my eyes and call her cliché.