TomTato 5

Tom smiled at the boy's familiar face. He stood up from the stool he was sitting on, and went to sit on the stool next to the boy.

"Tato? What are you doing here?" Tom asked. He was glad to see his boyfriend again, even though he was human. And to think that just a second ago he was thinking about ditching the french fry to become human forever.

"Tom," Tato groaned, "I was about to ask you the same. I asked Pineapple to turn me human because I was worried about you. Turns out, you're living the best life ever. Also I gave myself the name Hector since I never really had a name."

Hector didn't even try to smile. If anything, he looked like he was gonna kill Tom.

"But how'd you know I'd be here?" Tom asked, trying to ignore the death glare Hector was giving him.

"Pineapple told me. He told me who you talked to, what you talked about, and where you were. It doesn't take that long to convince someone not to eat a french fry. Am I right, Tom?" Hector asked.

"Well, no, but-" Before Tom had the chance to finish his sentence, Hector slammed his fist on the counter and yelled, "Is there something you do other than make excuses?"

The bar had gotten silent and the only ones talking were Hector and Tom. Well, mostly Hector, and he was yelling more than talking normally. Even the bartender had stopped serving the customers just to listen to the boys' conversation.

Hector shouted, "Back at your girlfriend's friend's house, you had the chance to go back and get me, but no! You stay there and listen to their conversation like it's the most interesting thing in the world." Hector voice softened, "Am I just not good enough for you?"

Tom opened his mouth but no words came out. He was speechless. When Hector was a vegetable, he would never yell, and even if he did it was probably just for a few seconds.

"You're from Britain, Tom? You never told me that. We've known each other for eighteen years and not once have you told me anything about your life. Yet here you are, telling a girl you've known for less than a day stuff you've never told me! What does she have that I don't!?" Hector argued.

Though it wasn't very noticeable, Hector's eyes were already starting to water. He could never argue or talk about his problems because he could break easily.

Tom tried to answer. "Look, I tried to go get you, but I couldn't. I-"

"Before I came here, I had stuff to do, yet I still came!"

Tom sighed in annoyance. "Oh please, you never do anything."

"That's what you think."

"No, that's what I know."

Hector snapped. "What do you know? Do you know how I feel when I'm without you? Do you know how I feel when I'm with you? Do you know anything!?"

His voice softened once again. "I can't believe I was actually worried about you."

Tom said, "Tato I-"

"It's Hector! Get it right!" Hector complained.

Hector yelled once again, "You aren't human, Tom! Get it through your head. You. Are. Not. Human. You don't belong here! You belong at the kitchen...with me. Quit trying to be something you're not. It's always what you want, Tom. You never ask me for my opinion. You never ask what I want."

"What do you want?" Tom managed to say. He ignored that knot in his throat. He knew Hector was right. He wanted to apologize, but he could barely speak.

"Someone who can stay by my side forever, not for a while!" Hector admitted. Right after he said that, the tears came running down his cheeks. He couldn't hold them back anymore.