The News

Jacks view

Before I woke up I heard a voice "Wake up daddy..." When I got up I knew what I needed to do. I needed to go home.

The snow was worse. I rested Sammy on my bump and stood up. My skin looked almost blue. My body was shutting down.

But that didn't matter. Pain stung me, every step. But ever step I told myself... What if Sammy is dead? What if it's not to late...

I was finally getting some knowledge of were I was. I looked at Sammy. She looked so,so bad "Oh my baby.. please please please." Nothing.

I looked up. We were home. Police cars and ambulances seemed to surround the house. Mark was paceing. He was crying. How long had I been away?

My throat was dry and I was weak "M-Mark!!" I clutched Sammy close to me. Everything was getting blurry. Mark raced to me and caught me as I collapsed "Oh my God.. Oh my God... What happened..."

Before I knew I was being whisked away on a stretcher. I wailed for Sammy. They put something over my nose and mouth. Mark gripped my hand as I passed out.

I woke in a hospital room. My vision cleared and I saw Mark, smiling at me "Oh Sean, I was so worried!" I shot up "Sammy? What about her is she ok?" Mark gently pushed me down "She's getting surgery Jack..."

"I want to see her!" He shussed me "We need to wait. You need to sleep." He hummed to me until I fell
asleep.

I slowly got better. But my sickness didn't. That's when the bad news came. I sat with Mark, my hand resting in his. The doctor looked at me sadly

"Sean... Your dying of an unknown disease... we can't do anything. If you survive the birth of your baby, you will get weaker and weaker until you die... I'm sorry..."

I remained silent. I decided... give up. Mark looked at the floor. I knew he was crying. I didn't.

I looked though the window. Sammy lay in a bed, half awake. We could she her. I stepped in the room and sat next to her "Sammy?" She stirred "Daddy?" Her little face brightened. Her eyes filled with tears "You saved me daddy." I smiled and squeezed her hand "Sammy, how could I not? I love you baby girl..."
I didn't bring up the news.

I couldn't break her heart.