Chapter 51. 6 months

Chrusciki are Polish biscuits which in English are called angel wings. They are delicate and crumbly and are often eaten st Christmas and also on shrove Tuesday

It was Friday night. 6 months since Ali had arrived in Holby. They had finished dinner and were sat in the living room with the telly on. Ali had just had a shower and put on her pyjamas. "Hey, You two. I've realised that it's been six months since I came to Holby so since I lived with you so I bought you some thank you presents." She got the notebook and necklace that she'd bought with Elsie and wrapped last night. This is for you. She gave the flat package to Ollie. "The only wrapping paper I could buy was Christmassy" the paper was covered in tiny fat santas. "And this one is for you" she passed the smaller present to Zosia. Ollie unwrapped the notebook and pens. "70's laptop" he laughed. "Thanks Ali, and for the pens too."
"Thanks for letting me stay!" Ali answered and Ollie hugged her tight. They both looked over at Zosia who had open her present and was just staring at it. "Do you like it?" Ali asked worriedly "if you don't I have the receipt." Zosia looked up. "It's nice." Zosia said emotionlessly. "I chose it because it is an angel wing like those chrusciki, angel wing cookies your mama used to make.And all the angel pictures in Babcias house."
"Chrusciki, anioł" angel Zosia repeated.
"Yes, that's right." Ali smiled "maybe that's the next Polish recipe we should introduce to Ollie?"
"I'd like that."Ollie answers smiling at Ali. Zosia was still staring at the necklace and there was an awkward silence which Ollie broke. "Hey, me and Zosh are working tomorrow but how about we go out and celebrate how far you've come in sixth months. We could go to the cinema, or bowling?" Ollie looked at Ali tenderly.
"Bowling sounds good." Ali smiled back.
"That settles it then. Our shifts finish at 5. Come meet us at the hospital we can go bowling after. Then maybe we can make those...Chrust-key"
"Chrusciki" Zosia said still not looking up "you won't make them as well as mama does."
That were all tired. Neither Ali or Ollie realised Zosia was speaking about her mother in the present tense.