Chapter 38

Ancelote's POV

I was walking through the halls and random memories would start to fill my head. I smiled as I remembered racing Weiss down these halls and her using dust to win.

I laughed before finally making it to Weiss's room. It was exactly where I was told to go and where it use to be.

I took a deep breath before I knocked on the door.

"Whitley I said I don't want to talk to you." Weiss violently opened the door. "Go bother some of the... Staff..." She looked shocked to see me there. "Ancelote?"

"Hey Ice Queen." Me calling her that brought a smile to her face. "I don't think I want your brother pestering me I might get fired if he pisses me off."

"To think I hated that nickname." She opened the door all the way. "Do you want to come in?"

"Well I'm actually on duty. But I am your guard so ok." I stepped into her room and she closed the door behind me.

"So, you planned on this? That why you asked that night?" She sat down on her bed.

"Well I need to keep busy." I wasn't exactly lying but it wasn't the full truth. "Oh yea I have something for you." I pulled my bag off of my back and pulled out the envelope from Ruby.
"This is from Ruby."  I handed it to her.

"Thank you." She looked at the envelope like she was scared to open it.

"I've got to put my stuff in my room. So I'll be right back." I started to leave the room when Weiss grabbed my arm.

"Please I don't want to be alone right now." She looked like she was about to cry.

"I'll stay then."

We sat silently as she opened the envelope and pulled out a letter. She slowly unfolded the paper and began reading. It took her a while to read the letter and when she looked up at me she had tears in her eyes but she was smiling.

"Thank you for bringing this to me." She looked in the envelope and pulled out a picture of her team. "Its nice to know Ruby is ok."

"I know she is glad you are too." I stood up. "I have to go put my things up and pick up my schedule from General Ironwood for the banquet or gala whatever you call them."

"I'll be here I don't want anyone in here." She stayed on her bed as I opened the door.

"I'll come check up on you when I am done," I said before I left the room.

I walked to the room next to Weiss's which was a lot smaller but it was a room meant for staff so it was what I expected. I didn't really need much of a room after all I use to share a dorm with a lot of guys pretty much my own space was my bed, my desk, and one hook on the wall.

I place my bag on my bed. Then I took my shield and sword off so I could sit comfortably. I pulled the dragon out of its special pouch.

"Don't worry Lavender. I'm just taking a pit stop to gather information before I get you back." I felt myself to start to cry, but I immediately stood up and placed the dragon back into its pouch and whipped away my tears.

I grabbed my sword and strapped it to my belt, I decided it was best to leave my shield so I wouldn't risk hitting anything with it. I left my room and  headed to the office General Ironwood was renting for the week.

I knocked on the door and I heard yelling so I opened the door and drew my sword. I noticed General Ironwood standing at his desk and a woman standing on the other side.

"Stand down soldier." General Ironwood said as he raised his hand. "It was just a disagreement."

"I'm not one of your soldiers." I said before sheathing my sword.

"Hello Ancelote I'm guessing Weiss is alright?" The woman turned around and I realized it was Winter, Weiss's sister.

"She is safe and alive," I reported to her.

"Is that a stuffed animal?" General Ironwood asked as he chuckled.

"James don't," Winter warned. "This is Ancelote Lum. Her daughter was taken by Cinder and her sidekicks during the fall of Beacon."

"Oh... I am sorry for being insincere." He sat down.

I looked at the ceiling to avoid tears from spilling out of my eyes. "Its ok sir." My voice cracked as I spoke.

"I will do my best to get her back to you."

Looked directly at him and I knew a tear managed to escape my eye. "No offense sir, but your best isn't going to be enough." He looked shocked at my words. "Unless you are willing to search every last inch of this world we live on, it won't be enough."

"I know this is hard for you." Winter put her hand on my shoulder. "If you need to take time I can..."

"I don't need time, the more time I spend doing nothing is time wasted that I could be using to find my daughter." I placed my hand on the dragon and started to stroke its wing. "Look I'm not going to lie, I begged for this job because I knew I would be close to you General. I want to help find them and get my daughter back."

"I can't give you permission to be apart of this case. You're just a kid. You haven't even graduated from Beacon. You cant expect to just come and talk to me and be on the team just like that." He started to stack papers and Winter made me sit down as she closed the door.

"Sir. I'm not some child. I am 19 and I only went to Beacon to be a certified huntress. I've been fighting  out in the real world since I was 12. I've taken on armies of white fang members raiding villages at the age of 14." He looked impressed by what I was saying. "Sir, I'm not some child that cant take on challenges. I've probably  fought more than any of your soldiers because unlike your armies, I've travelled all over the world to protect people."

"Well even so..." He started.

"Wait I know where I've seen you. You use to work security here, was it four years ago?" Winter chimed in.

"Yes I did. It was five years ago. I was Weiss's guard then too."  I said as I looked over to her. "I've done security work while I wasn't off fighting. Still do."

"Ok, I will look into your records and I will think about going you to help me with this. If I get any information." He gave in to my plea. "I have more work to do. So have a good day."

"Thank you sir." I stood up. "Oh. I also was wondering where you want me to be during the gala... Or whatever it is called."

"I'll let you know tomorrow. I'll find you and tell you."  He said before I left.