My beginning

Newt's POV

My eyes snap open. The lack of Oxygen seems to leave me breathless. My body is coated in sweat, my head hurts. My mouth is dry and my eyesight is blurry, all I can see is that I'm in a metal cage.

No, it's a lift.

That's why I'm moving upwards. I try to stand but I fall to the floor instantly. I'm not steady on my feet, they feel like jelly. I try crying for help but that seems to trigger the lift going faster and faster and faster. My eyes scrunch together. I start screaming...

The last thing I hear is a huge crash and a bang.

I open my eyes again to see a light blue sky and numerous Willow trees, their vines dancing gracefully in the slight breeze. I sit up carefully in case I'm hurt. I see a tall teenage boy peering into the lift to see me sat up blearily. The dark-skinned boy around my age - I think - jumps down into the lift with ease.

"Hello, Greenie." He says gently.

I suddenly panic. What the heck is a greenie? Where am I? Who is this boy? Why am I here? Who put me and him here? And the most frightening two questions are: Why can't I remember anything? And, who am I? My breathing gets quicker as my head turns wildly around in circles trying to see more.

"My name's Alby. Sorry I called you greenie, I don't what your name is..." He says, he pauses then says sofly, "And I don't suppose you know what your own name is? Do you? Anyways I'm glad you're here. I've been all alone for a month." Alby says, trying to be bright and breezy.

I shake my head. I don't know my own name.

"Why. Why don't I-I know my na-ame?" I ask nervously and quite frankly, confused.

"I'll explain everything, I promise." Alby says.

I nod eagerly, ready to find out more about this desolate place. It's no wasteland but it feels dead. I think he's sussed after a month being alone that the lift doesn't go down with someone in it. I think about that for a second. I come to a concluesion.

"We're trapped here aren't we?" I ask, bold as brass, but my voice was only a whisper.

Alby ponders on how to answer this harsh, difficult and complicated question before he opens his mouth.

"I-I think so. Probably yes. I'm not so sure." He then pauses and says: "Beyond these walls is a maze. A very complicated maze. Every single night, those walls move. They have a pattern that could be the key to our escape. Well get out. Eventually."

"How is that possible?" I exclaim with passion as Alby hauls himself out of the rustic, old lift.

"I don't know. Come on, out you get." Alby says pulling me out of the lift on the soft, mossy, emerald grass.

We wonder over to a nearby - I've found my feet now - Willow tree and flop down heavily. I'm still a bit weak and Alby looks exhausted.

"Bloody hell." I sigh in exasperation and confusion.

He broke the silence. "Finding a way out of the maze will take a lot of tedious time to figure out. Although maybe we can get out another way. I've only tried the lift so far." Is my long awaited response. Alby then follows it up, "We can get into the maze during the day at one of the four openings. It's always the same opening that opens."

"Ri-ight." I respond, trying to take in all this new information at once.

"As dusk dawns, or comes rather, the door closes. This is to keep out some sort of monsters that lurks all around in the maze at night." Alby says quietly.

"Monster?" I questioned, everything seemed to quieten as I looked over at the door.

"I call them Grievers, I've never seen one and quite frankly, I don't think I want to. Anyway, I don't think anyone would survive up against one of those things." He answers, his ebony brown eyes darkened a few shades.

"Have you ever seen such a thing?" I asked cautiously and with curiosity.

"I've never seen one but boy have I heard one alright."

"Wow." I let a nervous sigh.

Hearing about the Grievers suddenly made everything more real. We were trapped. In danger.

"No. Not wow, but I get what you're saying greenie. At dawn the maze opens at the same time, every time. The monsters are not around in the day. At least I hope not." Alby says, his head looking towards the open door with a worried glance.

"I hope not too." I whisper more so to myself than Alby.

"Now greenie," Alby's tone is lighter now. "Let's establish some rules. I have a feeling this is going to get very complicated and I don't want us and the possibility of anyone getting hurt," I shudder, but then give a small nod.

"Okay," I say. "Ground rules. Any ideas?" I racked my brain for ideas of rules, but only one came to mind. "Everyone has to do there part, no freeloading. Otherwise nothing will get done."

Alby nods enthusiastically. "Two, never harm another glader. And three, never go into the maze unless you are a runner. No one at night, not even runners." Alby says quickly.

"Sounds good to me." I respond.

Even so, I don't want to be here in the Glade. I can feeling the hate for this place already growing inside me like a ravenous virus. We're trapped. The hate of the place has nothing to do with Alby. It's here. 'Here' is the Glade. A huge field - which includes cattle - with a forest which covers the far corner of the square-ish field from where we're sitting. About a quarter of the large field it takes up. Surrounding the Glade is gigantic stone walls. They are as huge as a mountain, solid as a giant's muscles. Beyond these walls is a maze as Alby's mentioned before now. I now walk over to the lift, a mission in mind. I jump in clumsily, and start lifting all the supplies out that have W•C•K•D inscribed on them. Alby follows me curiously without saying a word. When he realises what I'm doing he joins me and helps me with the task at hand. After we've gotten all the supplies out are the lift, we sit underneath a massive Willow tree on the outskirts of the forest. Right in the shade. My sweat clings to me like it's a soggy swimsuit and I've just been swimming. I wipe sweat beads off my forehead and grin at Alby. I sigh deeply, tiredness came over me like a tsunami.

------

An hour later - I think me and Alby fell asleep - I remember my age and name. Though I don't know my birthday. My name is Newt. Strange name. I'm seventeen. I shake Alby awake and tell him. He nods and says he's nineteen. He then leads me over mysteriously to a stone wall. When I first saw where we are going to I thought what the? I look closer at the wall and I see Alby's name carved into the stone. Bold and clear letters set right in the middle at eyesight level. He tells me to do the same. I do. I put my name in plain sight, near where Alby has written his. Alby pats me on the back heartily and we go back to our makeshift shelter, (which Alby must have built himself), as it has started spitting. In the confinement of the dodgy shelter, me and Alby conclude together that every month a new boy will come up with all sorts of supplies. That's what happened to Alby and to me. Whoever the bastards are that put us here are trapping us, controlling us. And I don't like it. Not one bit.

Hey guys, I know I've changed Newt from being thirteen to seventeen when he was first put in the maze but you will see why I had to for later on in the story so I apologise for any confusion.