| thirty |

≫≫≫

Now if you never shoot, you'll never know

And if you never eat, you'll never grow

≫≫≫

  Once Mateo was fast asleep, Harry gently broke away from him to look for Adriana

Once Mateo was fast asleep, Harry gently broke away from him to look for Adriana. He tucked the little boy in and ducked down to kiss his forehead, brushing his dark brown locks to the side.

  Suddenly a loud crash startled him, causing him to look up at the direction of where it came from. It sounded like a glass breaking, and that it came from the kitchen. Harry quickly checked to see if Mateo heard it too, but the little star had already fallen asleep with his thumb in his mouth. Harry quickly rushed to the kitchen where he found Adriana cursing angrily under her breath, mottled cheeks glistening with fresh tears as she stood over the mess she created when she dropped the water jug she was carrying over to the sink.

  Harry's gaze met Adriana's teary one, before she broke it quickly, rubbing her cheeks harshly and grabbing a cloth. She crouched down and began collecting the pieces of glass.

   "Babe, let me do it," Harry whispered softly, approaching her and crouching down. "You go relax with Mateo, I'll clean up for you."

   "No, I can do it myself, Harry," she muttered back. Her throat was raw from crying and the sound of her voice made Harry's heart hurt.

   "C'mon, Adriana, just let me," Harry insisted, and Adriana scowled in irritation. She felt as if he pitied her too much and she didn't like it.

  Adriana muttered a hard 'no', pushing his approaching hands away while holding a piece of glass before she tightened her fingers around it and it cut her hand. She cursed loudly when she felt a sharp pain shoot up her hand, gaze averting down to the small cut in the palm of her hand that was bleeding now. Harry tried to reach out to touch her in comfort, but she stood up quickly and headed over to the sink to rinse it. Harry sighed heavily, quickly cleaning up the rest of the glass and mopping up the water with a large piece of cloth before he headed over to Adriana.

   "Let me help you," he said gently, hands resting on her shoulders as he stood behind her. But as soon as he touched her she flinched again, eyes squeezing shut when she was reminded of the horrible hallucination again.

   "D-Don't touch me, for god's sake!" she couldn't help but snap loudly, spinning around and pushing him back a little.

   "Adriana," Harry whispered in surprise, trying to keep his tears at bay and his heart from cracking. "I know I was harsh to you earlier, but you don't have to punish me like this."

   "I'm not punishing you it's just that-" Adriana sighed in exasperation before she stopped, face contorting with pain and frustration. She knew she was hurting him but she couldn't help it. The hallucination was the worst one she had ever experienced and she couldn't shake off the feeling of how real he was.