•CHAPTER XII•

What did he mean?

He's more cocky than I thought. I rolled my eyes in disbelief. "What?" He asked with a smirk. I stopped walking and shrugged my shoulders. "You think your body isn't going to get revenge on you?" I asked with a raised brow. He laughed like I was an idiot. I somehow felt like an idiot though I was making a valid point. Why did he make me feel this way? I'm sure my cheeks are pink, but I can blame it on the chilly breeze passing through us like we were trees. He shook his head. "As I said, is not something I need to worry about." He pressed again which only made me scoff.

We walked on a bit further, listening to each others footsteps tread on the dry leaves that covered the ground. This silence between us was comfortable. It made me feel as if we were walking contently forever as time passes around us. "Are you sure you're okay?" He asked and turned to study my features. I swallowed and nodded, an automatic smile appearing on my pink lips. "Of course. I'm just locked out that's all." I said. "Did you forget your keys?" He asked and I nodded. Of course I didn't forget my keys. I didn't even have any. I figured I should ask my mother when things are more...settled between me and her. "I'm just forgetful" I lied and pretended to laugh at my ditziness. But he didn't seem convinced. He looked at me with that look again, like he could tell I was lying. He was looking through me like I was glass, looking deep into the soul of my blue eyes. I blinked and looked away as we kept walking.

"So Mr Montgomery" I started "tell me about yourself. I only know so much, and it's never from your mouth." I said. I decided this would be good, to get to know him more. I also wanted to know if all the rumours were true. About him playing with girls' feelings, and skipping class because he doesn't need the grades.

"Well, what do you want to know?" He asked and I was struck. I couldn't just ask him could I? That would be rude of me. Why do I even care? "Uhm...anything. I'm just curious." I shrugged. "Tell me where you're from." I said. He looked ahead like he was trying to decide if he wanted to tell me or not. "Next" he said in a burst. "What?" I asked confused. "I pass that question. Next one." He said casually and I scoffed. "Okay, then do you have any hobbies?" I asked. I was hoping he wouldn't say "pressing with girls' feelings" but also hoping he would clear that whole thought in my mind. "Apart from smoking." I added which made him laugh. "Hmmmm I play the piano if I have time." He said at last though I guessed it wasn't a hobby at all. More of a lie he made up to cover something he was hiding. "We should play a duet sometime." I requested. I played the piano sometimes, when I needed time to pass. But only when I was alone in the house. I didn't want anyone to hear me play, though I feel like I could play in front of Romeo. I was more worried about my mother getting irritated with the 'noise' as she so carefully put it. "I would like that very much." He said delicately.

Somehow whilst we were talking about the piano and it's music, we arrived at my street. And soon in front of my house. I hadn't realised that the sky had turned a dark blue. Time in Morgenstel passed so quickly. "Oh. This is my house." I said almost like it was a question. "I know." He said softly. I looked at him with 'confused' written all over my face. "That's not creepy at all." I said sarcastically but with my heart beating fast. He laughed and we awkwardly stood there in front of the gates. "Will I see you tomorrow?" I asked. There was a pause before he replied. "Yes" he said eventually. "For the whole school day yes?" I said like I was telling him off for skiving school. That devilish smirk appeared on his face again, it made me want to slap him but kiss him at the same time. What was wrong with me? "Yes Miss Degrey." He said. I gave him a warm smile before opening the big gates and walking down the path. When I turned around to see him again, he had disappeared. Like he wasn't there at all. Just like that, I was left alone like I was talking to the darkness.

I stood on my doorstep. Trying to fight the fear inside me if the door was still locked. I raised my hand from my pocket and was instantly met with the cold. My hand started to shake, not because I was cold, but because I was scared. I took a deep breath and pushed the door handle. The door opened and I was hit with a wave of warmth from the inside of the house. I sighed with relief and stepped inside as quietly as I could, shutting the door with minimal noise.

I walked quietly down the hall, scared to even make a cream on the floorboards or take an inhale of breath. I slowly climbed the stairs until I heard quick footsteps from the hall way upstairs. Instantly, my mother walked past me like I wasn't even there. She had pushed me to the side with her shoulder harshly making me bump into the wall. I blinked in shock and walked on like nothing happened. She surely did it on purpose.

I walked to my room and shut the door, locking it in aims to protect myself. She had got herself into one of those moods again. I put my bag on my desk chair and took my jacket off, hanging it in my closet before getting changed into my pyjamas. I was trying to distract myself from my urge to cry. I wasn't going to cry. I didn't. I wasn't going to let her win one over on me.

I walked into the bathroom and brushed my teeth. Having dinner wasn't a priority right now. I couldn't even imagine myself getting something to eat now. After getting ready for bed, I slid into my covers trying to keep my warmth in. I clung my knees to my chest like I was a baby again and closed my eyes tight to stop any chance of tears leaking out. I don't know how long had passed but I know that eventually I fell away into a dream state. I wish I could stay like that forever.

♠︎♤♠︎♤♠︎♤♠︎♤♠︎♤♠︎
authors note:
thank you so much for reading, if you enjoyed please leave a vote/comment! they are much appreciated.

updated: 10th/feb/2018
-kiim