•CHAPTER XX•

The sun had completely set. My room was only lot by the warm light from my desk lamp. The yellow light was hazy and made me feel sleepy and sick. I couldn't stop thinking about what we had just done. What Romeo had just done.

He killed.

He killed my housekeeper right below this room. He killed on my floors. It occurs to me now: why did I try to cover the murder up?
Why didn't I run away? Shouldn't I think that he's going to kill me? Why was my initial thought to protect him?

I clench my fists so hard that my nails create bloody crescents in my palms. The background noise of the shower stops and I stand up. I had cleaned our clothes already in the washing machine and had them dried and ironed.

I folded them and placed them on the dresser outside the bathroom for him. I didn't want to be in here whilst he got changed, it seemed too comfortable to do that after everything had happened.

I exited the room and shut the door behind me before hearing the bathroom door open.
My phone buzzes in my hand and I look down seeing it was a message from Levi.

L: Hey
L: Sorry we just left today.Our brother's in college and it's not normal that he comes back.
L: What have you been up to?

I sigh and press the phone against my chest. He seems so innocent and oblivious to everything. It's not like I could tell him, can I?

'Yeah everything's fine apart from the fact that Charlie freaked out and left me and Romeo murdered my housekeeper' I type but then delete it all.

Me: I totally understand, not up to much. You?

I hit send and then walk back into my room to see Roman facing my window buttoning up his shirt. I caught a glimpse of his chiseled torso and instantly turned away which made him smirk even now after all this, his smug expression doesn't change.
"We need to talk." He says and turns back around. I slide onto the edge of my bed and he sits at the end with his palms leaning behind him.

I agree but can't look at him in the eye. I look down at my clean white sheets instead and imagine them stained in all the blood.
"Aren't you going to ask?" He says and dips his head down to meet my eye.

I swallow and shrug looking to the side. It was true, I did want to ask. The curiosity was biting away at my insides like a parasite.
"Why did you do it?" I whisper. "Are you a psychopath?" I add without meaning to.
He chuckles and shakes his head, his towel dried hair gets pushed back by his balms.
"No" he says. "Are you?" He asks seriously but still with that smirk on his lips.
"Obviously not." I said quickly.
"It's not so obvious anymore." He said.
"What do you mean?
"Well we did just burn your housekeeper."
"After you killed her." I said and swallowed.

The silence between us echoed in my ears. His palm resting near my knee gave me the temptation to hold it.
"How do I know you're not going to kill me?" I asked even thought I had this knowing feeling that he wouldn't. But how could I be so stupid and sure?

His face completely changed. His expression was almost sorrowful and his eyebrows slanted
"I would never hurt you. Do you understand?" He said almost angrily that I even made the proposition. "I promise I will never lay a finger on you." His hand found mine, placing his cool fingers over my hot delicate hand sending me a surge of butterflies on my stomach.

"What is someone saw us?" I say and stand up, sliding my hand out from under his touch. I peek out through the curtains and then force shut them immediately. "What if someone finds the body?" I whisper shout. He stands up taller than me.
"No one saw us. No one is going to find the body okay? We did a good job."
"What about my mother? Are you sure we cleaned everything?" I whisper even louder getting more stressed as time passed with the realisation of the crimes we committed.
"Azra we cleaned everything." He emphasised and sighed. "Listen, if anything does happen. It's my fault completely, okay?" He said and places his hands at my sides.

I don't think my mother would care if it was my fault or not. But the police might.

"What is my mum going to say when Mrs Elm doesn't turn up tomorrow? Or the day after that? Or the day after that!" I say.
He sighs and runs a hand through his hair.
"Listen Azra, Mrs Elm isn't Mrs Elm." He said. I shook my head.
"What do you mean she isn't herself?"
"She's not-"
"What?"
He couldn't spit out the words. He sucked his teeth in and shook his head.
I scoffed. "Romeo tell me!" I say raising my voice louder.
He shook his head again and covered his mouth with his hand. He ran his hand through his hair which I accounted for his tick for stress. "Please?" I begged quietly.

I reached my hand out and held his wrist lightly. It was the first time that I had initiated contact with him and it took all the courage I had. He didn't reject me or pull away from me. He seemed more lured and surprised than anything.

"Has it got to do with Charlie?" I asks slowly and he nods like he's in pain. He can't tell me. "Charlie isn't normal is she?" I ask carefully. I don't know what I was going to try to say. What am I going to say? That Charlie isn't a human?
He nods his head. "Mrs Elm....or whoever she is. Was she...not normal?" I asked, fevering my way around the idea that any of this is possible.
He nods again looking at me again with his green eyes like I've nearly hit the jackpot.

"So she isn't normal. And?" I say unsure of how her death was acceptable.

He took his hand away from his mouth and placed it in mine. He gently squeezed and found it hard to look me in the eye.

"Azra, she was going to kill you."

▲▽▲▽▲▽▲
authors note:

AAAAAHHHHH SUSPENSE !!

i'm so tried because i didn't want to leave you guys without a new chapter every day. i really hope you enjoy!

please vote/comment!

-kiim