•CHAPTER XLII•

"What's up with him?" Romeo said as class finished and the twins hadn't returned.
"I don't know, they were fine earlier." I said.
"Actually more than fine, they made the team." Charlie said and joined us.
"Shall we take their bags to their lockers?" I suggested and the two agreed helping me.

After shoving their bags in their unlocked lockers, typical of them, we headed toward the car park.
"Need a ride?" Romeo said and I nodded, happy to be at his side.
"See you later, tell me if the twins say anything." Charlie said and I nodded before Romeo and I walked toward his car.

He opens the door for me as usual and I step inside, the familiar pine wood smell hits my nose and I accept it.
"So what was it that you were going to tell me?" He asks and drives smoothly.
I open my mouth to tell him everything, not missing a single detail.

The car is silent as what I've told him sinks in. He believes me and thinks the same too. That Miss Merzion was talking about me in the office. I'm the stupid human girl.
"And she was on the phone?"
I nod. "I don't know who it was though."
"Listen, everything is going to be fine. No harm will come to you or your mother, okay?" He takes my hand for reassurance.
I nod and the unsettling feeling in my stomach all day, removes itself.

As we drive past the dark green buzz of the forest, I notice droplets of rain sprinkling against the window. The clouds become a dark grey and the rain becomes more determined.
"That's weird, the forecast said it would be clear all week." He says and I shrug.

But there's something in the distance of the long road. Is it a cow? No, because there are no cattle here. Could it be a fox?
"Wait, Romeo stop! What's that?" I say and point to the big furry creature. It's as big as a small horse and it's curling it's back. It's in pain.
Romeo and I exchanged concerned looks as he stops a few metres away.
"Stay here." He says and I ignore him as I step out with him.

I can see the dirty creature rising as it breathes. It writhes and I hear whispering and whining that of a dog.
"Azra, stay back." Romeo warns me but I ignore him again.
I step closer. I realise that the creature is actually white. But it's dirty. It's covered in grime of the forest and there's some dark dried substance in its paws. It's blood.

I hover over the animal, trying to find a face in its mound of fur and there I see it. It's eyes are closed tight with pains and it's paws her tucked under itself. It's mouth is half open, bearing sharp pointed canines, panting with exhaustion. It is a dog. A giant dog. A wolf.

"What do we do? Call the police?" I say.
"No, Azra stay away." Romeo says and in a blink of an eye he pulls me a step back.
"Romeo! It's injured! We have to do something." I say and point to the blood that becomes more prominent now. "He's in pain." I say and my eyebrows furrow.

Against the rain I hear footsteps, fast footsteps coming toward us and I see a familiar human figure. It's Cole.
"Cole! Watch out!" I say but he ignores me. He runs from the forest and straight to the animal bending down on his knees and cradles the animals head.

"We need to help him! It's Levi!" He says as he's out of breath.
"Levi?!" I exclaim and the whining of the animal becomes louder.
"I'll explain later, just help me get him up!"

I take a step forward but Romeo pushes me back with a gentle squeeze on my arm. He rushed toward Cole and helps him with the giant furry white wolf.

I want to help and so I run to Romeo's car and open the boot which is big enough to fit the wolf in.
With no struggle at all, they carry the heavy animal and lay him in, his paws unfold and his dirty damp fur lays flat, he knows he's safe.

"Take me to my house, it's not far from Azra's." Cole says and Romeo drives us away.

I can see a dirt patch on Cole's cheek and so I put my sleeve over my fingers and wipe at it which causes Romeo to shift in his seat.He's exhausted too. His eyes are tired and they look like they're in pain.
"What happened?" I asked softly.
"Everything happened. I suspected it ever since I was little, but everything became more clear when Jason arrived."
"Suspected that..?"
"They're wolves." Romeo said in a monotone voice, looking straight ahead.

Wolves.

That explains how the twins are so tall and well built for their age. How they absolutely crushed the Lacrosse tryouts and how Jason studies Lycanthropy.

"What happened to...Levi?" I said feeling weird calling the giant wolf Levi.
"He shifted. I haven't shifted yet, I didn't know it was coming. That means I will be shifting soon too."
"How did he just do that?"
"Because we are wolves. The whole family is, it runs in our blood. I've watched him for the past few days and it explains it all. He's been really moody and extremely happy otherwise. In class today, I noticed he was grilling the desk and somehow my gut feeling told me it was going to happen. So I chased him all the way round. I lost him at Stellar River and when I found him, he was in the middle of shifting." He winces and I can imagine what that must have looked like, broken bones everywhere.
"You must be so tired." I said and rubbed his shoulder, feeling pity for him. Romeo glares at him with daggers making me chuckle but I keep it inside.

As we arrive, the Maccon's house door opens and Gabby runs out with a Jason following behind. She runs toward Cole and grabs his cheeks.
"Are you alright? Where is he? Are you hurt?" She asks in worried spurt with lines across her forehead.
Cole shakes his head. "I'm fine mum, it's Levi."
Jason, Romeo and Levi carry the big wolf carefully inside. We're lucky that it is raining otherwise the neighbours would have a clear view.
"And you darling are you alright?" She says and wraps an arm around me. I nod and smile at her motherlyness.
Romeo helps them into the house and I feel obligated to follow.

♠︎♤♠︎♤♠︎♤♠︎♤♠︎
authors note:
i loved this chapter!!!
what do you think?

please vote/comment!

-kiim