•CHAPTER XXIV•

My eyes open from the pale sunlight that shines through the open curtains of my window, reminding me that it is morning and that I should be awake. I refuse and close my eyes tight in hopes to go back to sleep and forget about the start of this day.

I then remember last night.

I sit up straight and find that my bed is empty. I look around and see no evidence that Romeo was here. Not even a crease in my bed that told me he was here. Was that all a dream?

I was sure that I remember holding his cold hand. I remember wrapping his chilled fingers in mine and holding them up to my chest.

But I don't remember anything else after that. I must have fallen asleep. Did he stay awake? He must have left. It's when I'm wondering what could have happened where I see a foreign white card standing up horizontally on my desk. Reading:

"Good morning Azra, I will see you tonight.
-R"

Their handwriting is small and neat. Completely cursive and sways to its right. It's almost like someone printed it out using fancy font. I chuckle at the thought. I mean, he could have just left a text. But the thought was cute.

My phone then buzzed twice.

L: Morning !!                                                     9:15
C: Wanna meet us ?                                        9:15

After agreeing to meet them at their house, I get changed into dark grey skinny jeans and a halter top. Bringing my khaki bomber jacket, sliding my phone into the pocket. I skip out on makeup altogether as I can't stand to look at myself in the mirror.

Every time I pass my mirror, I catch my eyes. My dustied blue orbs that hold no innocence anymore. I start biting my lip, realising that I would be playing this waiting game that's full of suspense. When was my mother going to notice?

I brushed my hair back until here were no knots and then slid my feet into my boots.

As I was about to leave, my phone's default ringtone rang out. I looked and saw "M" on the screen. It was my mother.

I panicked. She must have found out. She must know. My hand starts shaking, I nearly drop my phone. It's ringing and ringing. She's going to get even more angry that I'm not answering. I have to answer.

I click the green button and slowly put the phone to my ear. I swallow hard.
"H-hello?" I say, my voice shaking with me.
"Azra, I've left my folder in the kitchen. Can you bring it to the office? It should be on the breakfast bar." She says casually.
I let go of a breath I was holding. My heart relieves itself.
"Azra?"
"Yes sorry, what does it look like?" I say, the words falling out my mouth.
I walk to the kitchen and see a black folder laying with a pen on top.
"It's black, canvas and had a slider. Do you see it?"
"Ah yes. Do you want the pen too?"
"No no. That's all. Did I wake you?"
"No, I was just getting changed." I lied.
"Alright, well I'll see you soon. I'll send you the location." She says and then ends the call.

I run a hand through my tousled hair and see my pale face in the reflection of the mirror in the hallway. "You're an idiot." I whisper to myself and then grab the folder and walk out the door, locking it behind me.

M: 📍Morgenstel J. Offices

I don't recognise the location of the pin she gave me, but I'm sure the twins will. And so I set off to their house, a few blocks down the street.

I get to the end of the street where I double check he number they gave me. Yep, still number 6.

The house is the same size as every house here. It's big and spacious with a garage to the left. But there's also a car parked in front of the garage. I look up at the red bricked house and press the call button on the side of the gate.

I wait for a reply looking down the street, not being able to see any further than a few metres due to the fog.
"Hello?" A female voice says. She sounds like she's in a rush.
Have I got the wrong house?
"Uhm Hi, I'm looking for-"
I get it off by the mumble of voices that sound distant.
"Is that Azra?" A voice says and I recognise it as Coles.
The woman gets taken over by two synchronised voices.
"Yeah, it's me." I say awkwardly.
"Hold on!" The twins say and at that moment the gates open.

I walk through and before I can get to the door it swings open, revealing Levi in a Vans tank top showing off his biceps and Cole in a pink tshirt that hugged his muscles torso. "Good morning Azzy" Levi said and ruffled my hair.

The house was warm and was decorated with dark timber. It had this welcoming vibe that filled the house. I could hear talking in the other rooms, and sizzling of a frying pan, the smell of breakfast flooded me. This house is alive.

"Dude, why did you just call her that?" Cole said and shook his head in embarrassment. I chuckled. They always make me laugh. After everything had happened, they seem to make me forget.
"It's alright. I don't mind." I say
"We were just having breakfast." Levi said and I now noticed the buttered toast in his hand.
"Oh, sorry to disturb you" I say but before anyone could say anything else, a lively middle aged woman came waltzing down the hall way with a pig tailed toddler on her hip.
"Nonsense! You've not disturbed us at all. You must be Azra, wow the twins never mentioned how pretty you are." She says and uses her free hand to pay my hair. "But they do talk about you a lot." She ads and the twins both groan which makes he laugh. "Come come, have you had breakfast yet?" She says and ushers is to the kitchen where the smell of food engulfs me.
"Uhm not yet" I mumble and smile politely.
"Oh good good good! Sit!" She says and I sit opposite the twins before their mother runs back to the stove.
I chuckle, glancing at the twins who are embarrassed but still smiling.
"Levi, go wake up Jason will you?" Their mother calls from the stove and Levi nods, walking down the hall.
Jason is their brother. I didn't realise they had such a big family. The little girl on their mothers hip must be their little sister too.

"What's this?" Cole said with his mouth full of bacon, reaching over and grabbing the black folder that I had to deliver to my mother.
"Oh, my mother wants me to drop that by her office." I say.
"In town?"
"Yeah, so you know where it is?" I ask whilst showing him the location pin on my phone. He nods instantly.
"We'll take you there." He says and I thank him with a smile.

A plate of bacon, eggs and toast is set in front of me.
"Thank you Mrs Maccon." I say politely and she rubs my back.
"Not at all, just call me Gabby." She says and sits next to me, setting the little girl on a high chair, feeding her spoonfuls of beans.

I can't ever remember if I've had a breakfast like this before.

▲▽▲▽▲▽▲
authors note:

i literally can't believe the reads on this book. thank you to everyone that reads, please vote if you do! it really puts a smile on my face.

-kiim