•CHAPTER XIII•

I woke up to the harsh beaming sun rays stabbing at my tired eyes. I had forgotten to close the curtains last night. Then I remembered, last night, the whole of yesterday. Getting locked out, seeing Romeo, my mother passively shoving me.

It took all my strength to sit up, something that had occurred quite often. It wasn't that I couldn't be bothered, but like I really just couldn't. My body would allow it. I just wished I could sleep forever; like dying but without the commitment.

I reached for my phone which lay face down on my bedside table and opened it to see that I had only 10% of battery left. I had forgotten to charge my phone last night. But I did see a string of texted from "L" and "C". Of course. The twins.

L: Morning!! 8:30
L: shall we meet outside ur house? 8:34
C: Lev thinks you're ignoring him 8:36
L: Ignore anything Cole sends u 8:38
C: You better wake up soon or else he's going to pass out 8:38
L: AZRA 8:38
L: HELLO? 8:39
L: WAKE UP 8:39
2 Missed Calls From 'L' 8:40

I checked the time and it was 8:42. I sprinted out of bed and pressed hit the "Call Back" button. Whilst the phone was ringing I ran over to my open closet and picked out anything to wear. Luckily, most of my wardrobe is black or greys so anything goes.
I slid on some jeans and a hoodie, grabbed my back and tied the laces to my sneakers.
Then the ringing had stopped.
"AZRA!"
"Levi sorry! I"
"NO EXCUSES GET YOUR ASS OUTSIDE"
"What? Outside?...."

I gingerly walked to my window and saw two brunettes standing outside the gates with wide smiles on their faces. I laughed and ended the call whilst I ran downstairs. Until I was stopped.

"Who are they?" A sharp voice said. I looked up to see my mother standing in her office wear with a steaming cup of coffee in her hand. She must have seen Levi and Cole outside. My body stopped in fear. My eyes found it hard to meet hers. "My friends." I replied in a quiver. She looked me up and down like she was in disbelief. She looked annoyed that I replied. "Go." She said and I immediately took off but before I could a hot burning liquid spilled onto my hand. I clenched my eyes in pain as I looked down to see her eyes piercing through me. What could her point? "Tsk! Now look what you've done. Go sort yourselves out, but don't keep them waiting. They've been hovering like birds." She said and walked back into the study, shutting the door behind her without another word or glance at my red hand. I walked into the kitchen and put my hand under the cold water, letting it cool off before grabbing a tissue and drying it. There was nothing too bad, just that my hand was red and a little painful.

Not wanting to keep the twins up any longer I put my hands in my hoodie pocket and walked out the door, grabbing a key this time and then stepped out.

I shut the door and turned to them with a pulled smile on my face. "Sorry to keep you guys. I over slept." I said and forced a laugh as I walked a step in front of them.

They didn't seem to say anything apart from look at each other like they weren't sure what to say. Then they turned to me. "It's alright...are you okay?" Levi asked. "what time did you go to sleep last night?"
"Not too late, I guess I was just tired." I lied and continued walking. Levi sighed and a ruffled my hair. "Go to sleep early tonight okay?" He said and walked by me.

"Hey, so after school there are Lacrosse tryouts for new term. Will you come watch us?" Cole said as we walked closer to school. I could almost see the school building. I nodded with a smile on my face. "Of course I would. We'll ask Charlie too." I said. "Coach says we have a good shot since we made it last year. But with the new students they needed to give everyone a fair chance." Levi said. "Still nervous though" the twins said in unison.
"What? No! You guys will be great. I promise you. There's nothing to be nervous about I mean look at you guys" I said. Although they had the heart of goofy toddlers, they were pretty built up. "Plus, me and Charlie will be there. We'll support you. Think of me like a.......lucky charm!" I said positively though my hand was still sore as it rubbed along the fabric of my hood pocket. The twins laughed and nodded, assured that I made them feel better.

Their laughter stopped once we reached the gates. Because there was an overflow of students gathered in a crowd shoving and bustling, unsure of what was happening. Students scattered everywhere, some hugging each other. A fire engine parked down the side with firemen and police talking to teenagers and staff.
"Guys!" A voice said and we turned around to see Charlie's shock ridden face. "What's going on?" Cole said, frowning. "What happened? I asked with my eyes wide open.
Charlie took a breath. "The east block was on fire! Everyone had to evacuate. No one is sure how it started, and no one seems to be hurt. Just in shock mainly." She said.
"What do you mean?"
"A fire?
"At our school?"
The twins and I asked.
Charlie nodded tucking a piece of her daintily beaded hair behind her ear. "Yeah, you heard me. Some of the clubs were already here doing whatever. So most people think it was either the math group or choir. Neither of which is convincing to start a fire. I mean come on." She said and we nodded.
"Oh god." I said as we looked at the east block. From the outside it seemed okay apart from the windows that were black and the shattered glass that was everywhere. I couldn't even see through the windows because it was so black.

That window was where the heads office was. Miss Merzion. I looked around to see that she was no where to be seen. I can only imagine if her youthful fear if her office was on fire. "Where is Miss Merzion?" I asked. Charlie shrugged. "I don't think she came in yet. Luckily too, I feel bad for her. Her office is a little.....scorched." She said as she squinted trying to look inside. "It's not great. She's only new and she's got this to deal with." Levi said. "What do you mean?" I said. Miss Merzion is new? I assumed she was always the headteacher. "Yeah, she started at the beginning of term. Our old head uhm....well we don't know really." Cole said. "His body was found in the Stellar River, his arm and leg missing." Levi added which made Cole kick him in the shin as if he wasn't supposed to say that...

♠︎♤♠︎♤♠︎♤♠︎♤♠︎

authors note:

can i just say that i am so overwhelmed by how many of you are actually reading this. thank you so much for keeping with me and for your votes and comments!

-kiim