•CHAPTER LV•

I lay on my back with my eyes closed against the dark night of my room

I lay on my back with my eyes closed against the dark night of my room. I feel a dip in my bed next to me and find that my hand is intertwined with Romeo's. His cold smooth skin against the veins that pump my hot blood around my body.

"Can you feel my pulse?" I whisper into the dark, my lips barely parting.
He chuckles softly, pausing. He is so silent that I wonder if I was dreaming or he had just disappeared. But his voice cracks the silence.
"Yes. I can feel it on my skin. I hear it all the time even when I'm far away from you." He lays on his side, facing me. I turn to him and open my eyes tiredly. He brushes his hand above my face, not yet touching my skin.
"I can feel your heat radiating from you. It's wonderful. Like you're in your own bubble of warmth." His hands close my eyes, making their way down to my neck. His fingertips are cool and make my neck tingle.

"Your heartbeat keeps me sane."

When I wake up in the morning, I take a moment to track the events from last night. I'm reminded by the note that Romeo has left me.

"Good Morning, beautiful.

See you in school.

-R
x"

A smile tugs at my mouth as I feel the soft paper between my fingertips. I slide my legs over my bed and walk over to my shelf, standing on my tiptoes as I take down a small wooden trinket box with ornate engravings on it. I open it to reveal all the other notes he has left me, putting this one in the collection before placing back on its place on the shelf.

I make my way to the bathroom avoiding the mirror.
My eyes are shut right, reluctant to look at myself. Flashbacks of the pouring blood from my eyes makes me grip my fingers and my chest heave. I finally open them and I'm pleasantly surprised with my normal morning bedhead, my normal skin that is desperate for moisturiser, and my normal eyes that carry bags not blood.

I blink my blue eyes to try and feel something but I don't. I don't remember it hurting, I just remember the warm wetness welding itself around my eyes for no reason. It lied a mystery to me and Romeo.

After taking a needed shower, I make my way to the dining room and I'm surprised to see my mother sitting there with a coffee in her hand, reading a file probably from work.

"Good morning." I mumble and take the milk out from the fridge for my cereal.

She doesn't reply and I pretend to not acknowledge it. I keep pouring the milk over my cereal before putting it away in the fridge.

I sit on the other side of the dining table, and stare down at my cereal taking long mouthfuls feeling the suspense on my back.
My mother slams down the file and uncrosses her legs.
The table shakes and I munch on my mouthful more carefully.