•CHAPTER XLIII•

They haul the big wolf inside the home out of the rain and into the warm glow of the house that smelled of cinnamon.
They placed the grey beast on a rug silently and Gabby rested on her knees cradling her son on her lap, stroking his temple lightly whispering some language that I don't understand

"Oh baby." She says and the wolf becomes silent, with soft breathing.
"Where is he hurt?" Jason says and enters the room with a first aid kit.
They push Levi over and stroke the dried blood trying to find where the pain was.
Cole runs his hand on the wolf's stomach and the wolf whines instantly sounding like a whistle. It's eyes open, a glorious pale grey iris like twisting opals meet my eyes. The wolf suddenly pulls away from Gabby's grasp and frantically tries to run, crying and whining in pain.
Everyone scrambled to hold him down but to no avail.
"Quick! Get him down!" Jason says but they all struggle with the work squirming around creating loud bangs on the floor, sticky splashing on my thigh.
In an instant reaction I file through the first aid kit and find an injection with: "TRANQ" in bold red letters.
I instantly grasp the needle in my hand and run toward the squirming wolf, I raise my hands and stab Levi, he squirms and whines, then suddenly his body falls and so does his eyes. He's still and breathes quietly.

They all sigh with relief.
"Good thinking." Jason said before he handed Gabby the first aid kit.
Romeo walks over to me and squeezes my shaken arm. I feel more relaxed and he nods at me.

"I've got it from here guys. Why don't you get yourself a drink in the kitchen?" Gabby says and Cole who has grown a forlorn expression nods lazily. I look at Romeo nodding him to join Cole and he does so.
"Let me help." I say and kneel next to her in front of Levi's furry stomach.
"You're a darling." She says and squeezes my hand before she hands me an alcohol wipe.
"Here." She says and points to the bloody gash that I can just make out. I wince and wipe the gash, expecting Levi to squirm but he doesn't move as he's in a deep sleep.

"You're such a help, I'll never let Levi forget this." She says after we've cleaned and stitched the cut which he must have gotten from a sharp edge of rock when he was running.
"About that..." I say "I promise I will keep this secret. I won't tell a soul, you can trust me."
She nods and takes my hand, rubbing her hands between mine.
"I know I can trust you, Azra. I knew when I first met you." She says, a smile pulling at her lips.
I nod and feel a warmness from that smile that I know I won't find anywhere else.

We all sit in the dining room after the boys pull Levi into his room, letting him rest and take his time to change back.
They join me and Gabby back downstairs, hot mugs of coffee and tea between our palms.

"It never usually happens like this." Gabby says and stares into her tea. "I should have prepared, I was too busy to notice."
Jason takes her hand and shakes his head.
"We all didn't expect it. The moon isn't even out tonight, strange things are happening, Ma and you couldn't have known it." He says.
"What do you mean?" Cole says.
Jason sighs and takes his hand away, pulling them to his lips.
"That's why I'm back. Odd things are going up in the packs in Ireland mate. Rumours are spreading of a source of power and some packs are hunting for it. Some of them are at war with one another, even found dead with no pups left behind." He says.
"Wait, you said you were on break? From uni?" Cole says and frowns turning to his blond brother.
"Sorry about that, mate. I would have told you if I could. Now you have to know everything. You're part of it, all of you are." He says and glances at me and Romeo.
"What source of power are they talking about?" Romeo says and lays his elbows on the table.
Gabby shrugs. "A beacon of energy, if you like." She says. "I haven't heard of it since I was a youngster."
"Where is it?" I ask and Jason scoffs.
"What's so funny?" I ask, again I feel like the mere human in the room.
"No one knows. No one knows where it came from, what it's called or where to find it." He says. "The only people that do have cursed themselves for eternity. Turned to the dark. Some supernaturals are desperate for power, to enhance their abilities or even want to save someone they love. This beacon of power can do that." He looks at me intently and I frown. "Well that's just-"
"Absurd." Romeo says.
Gabby clears her throat. "It was once said that this power was an angel. An angel that God had forgotten about long long ago, an angel that had fallen from heaven and into the earth. Or that this power has been touched by angels. But again, no one really knows, it's all just rumours that drive the bad crazy. Insane even." She says and looks down into her tea.

I take a sip to ease my cold chills. All of this makes my skin rise with goosebumps. The whole supernatural world was unknown to me a few weeks ago. And now it's like a faucet that won't turn off.

"But what has this got to do with Levi changing early?" I asked biting my cheek hoping it wasn't a stupid question.
"Because, the supernatural nature's will shift if the beacon is near." Jason almost whispers.
"What?" Cole says. "Here? In Morgen?"
Jason nods. "Exactly."
Romeo shifts in his chair and clears his throat.
"What about the killing? Of that guy a few months back. Odd isn't it?"
Gabby nods. "We've suspected it."
"Tell them about what you heard today." Romeo says and nods at me to let me know that it's okay.

"Wow." Jason says and sits back in his chair as I tell them everything.
"I'm surprised Vissa let you get away with that." Gabby says with raised eyebrows "you're both very lucky." She points to Romeo and I, talking about the incident with Mrs Elm.
"I have to ask...what was she talking about when she said that someone was in a human?" I asked.
They shake their head. "A ghost?" Cole said. He's as new to this world as I am.
Gabby laughs and shakes her head, reaching over to run his shoulder. "No, you better get some rest. You look so tired darling." She says and stands up.

Romeo and I stand up and say goodbye to Gabby and Jason. I wave a goodbye at a knackered Cold and he half heartedly waves back.
"Be careful, you take care of her." She says and pokes Romeo's chest. To which I chuckle at and she embraces me in a hug.

I wrap my arms back around her and close my eyes. I feel her warmth and I lavish in it. This must be what having a normal mother was like.
The twins are lucky. Though I can't imagine this short pleasant faced woman turning into a roaring beast with drool drilling down her jaws.

"What was that thing you were going to tell me?" I ask Romeo as we walk down the street toward my house. He shrugs. "It's nothing really."

▲▽▲▽▲▽▲
authors note:

hey!!
what would you guys think if i uploaded every other day?
it's just that it is really hard to post every day and i feel like i might be overcrowding you guys?
any thoughts?

please vote/comment, love you all !

-kiim