{Chapter 14}

"Your Highness, his Majesty the King has requested your presence." I glanced over my shoulder, All of yesterday was spent talking with Gilbert and Ludwig about times long forgotten. 

I had been fitted and was placed in a dress that used to belong to my mother once, until I could get dresses to my size I would have to wear hers. I turned back to the mirror, staring at my reflection, the jewelry simple and yet extravagant. It had been some time since I had worn a dress of this style, with Heels and gloves. 

I stood up, making my way to the door. I would see my father after so long, I wasn't even sure what to say. How to speak or even how to act, would he be mad? My mind raced with thoughts of how to explain to him why I left, What I'd been doing until now. The sound of my heels on the carpeted hall reminded me more and more of my mother, had she been here things would be different. I took in the familiar portraits of Kings before, lining up the hall to the room of the current king. 

"Your Highness, it has been too long," The guard opened the door and made way for me to step in. 

The curtains had been lifted and the light of the sun illuminated the room, I held my hands together a little relieved to see Gilbert. He extended his hand out to me, I took it and he guided me to the stool beside the bed. My heart felt as though it would pound right out of my chest, I clenched my jaw taking in a deep breath before finally taking in the sight of my father in the bed. 

He was once a proud and dominating figure, A king of strength and power the one who saved the kingdom from falling into the hands of neighboring kingdoms. Even now in his final breaths, he looked far from sick, His blonde hair was still long with that braid he always wore. If any of us were to be compared to him, it was Ludwig who resembled him the most.

I took his hand lifting it to place a kiss on the ring he wore, It was so quiet that I felt as though I could hear my heart. "Oh, how I longed to see you, my dear," His voice was tired and yet still loud enough to command an army. 

I kept my head lowered, pressing the ring to my forehead. "You've grown so much, Lift your head so that I may look upon your face." I did as he ordered raising my head to meet his gaze. 

For as wild and rough as he may have been in his youth and as king, one thing he was not was a bad father, he doted on us more than any parent would. That is why it hurt more to have left, His hand lifted to hold my cheek. His eyes took in every feature of my face, and a warm smile came across his lips as he brought his hand back to his side. 

"I will not ask you why you've left, I will only ask you if you are happy with the choices you have made." I nodded clearing my throat, what I didn't want was to cry. 

Before I could even speak he broke out into a coughing fit, blood splattered out of him staining the covers. The maids quickly rushed to offer water and wipe the blood, Gilbert walked over holding my shoulder. 

"Your Royal Highness, I apologize for the interruption but someone is requesting an audience with his Majesty." Gilbert glanced over his shoulder to the guard, I helped my father lean back into the bed. 

He waved his hand allowing the doctor to hand him a vile with a strange liquid. "Gilbert go, Take your sister as well. Ensure that she is comfortable, We will talk more later." I watched him drink the liquid, Confused about what he meant.