Chapter 23

Nilay propelled himself rolling his shoulders and forced his way through the water. He kept on swimming almost for an hour and stopped finally when he was out of breath. Catching his breath he ducked out of the water and hauled himself out of the pool sitting on the edge. He couldn't take Tahira's scared face and blurry eyes out of his mind.

He had tried to talk to her the other day but she just decided to ignore him. He made it a point to return home every single night after that incident when he shouted on her just to apologise. But, she would not eat breakfast with him or even spend a single second with him. In the mornings, she would quietly slip out of the door not wanting any encounter with him. It was almost a week now that they didn't talk or more appropriately she didn't want to talk. He knew she was mad at him. She had the right to be! Frustrated, he ran his hand through his head and face and led out an angry sigh. He was regularly informed of her practise sessions with Mike. She was pushing herself harder and doing all the she could.

They got information that Uday wasn't coming to California which meant that Tahira wouldn't have to spend any time with him. Which also meant she was safe. It killed him internally to have her face Uday every time. He knew a woman around Uday could never be safe. Yes, he wouldn't let anything happen to her but who knew what could happen the next moment. He was aware of everything, which also included the danger lurking around his wife but his work, his duty towards his chief was always more important.

His anger was bubbling up inside. The frustration growing by every passing moment. He wanted her to talk to him or even shout at him. He didn't know why but he was dying to listen to her voice. Finally, when he couldn't sit there and do nothing about it, he jerked himself up and changed into regular clothes.

He got inside his car and slamming the door shut he drove home, determined to make her talk to him. It was around eleven at night when he got home. The weather was pretty bad and he suspected a thunder storm. He entered the driveway hoping to see her car parked. To his surprise her car wasn't there. The lights of the house were out as well. Did she sleep? But her car? He hurried towards her room to find it empty. Immediately he called Mike.

"Is Tahira still with you?"

"No.."

"When did she leave?"

"Umm.."

"When?!" his voice rose.

"She didn't come today."

"What do you mean she didn't come?"

"She texted me saying she had a lot of work today and she'd reach around 8:30. But she didn't turn up. So I texted her back but she didn't reply."

"Why didn't you tell me?" Nilay almost shouted.

"Nilay..I.."

"Why the f*ck didn't you tell me Mike!?" Nilay finally shouted.

"She was pushing her body a lot Niay. She would almost fall down with exhaustion everyday. I thought she must have gone home straight away to take some sleep. You shouted on her the other day and I didn't what that happening again. So I didn't tell you."

"Mike, she might be in danger right now! You should have called me!"

Nilay banged the phone down and called Tahira. All he got was a 'switched off'.

"Dammit!"

Without a single thought drove to her work place. The wind was howling and rain lashed against his car widows. His visibility was poor but nothing could hamper his determination to find her.

Tahira's pov

The next morning when I got up I was mad at him. I wanted to scream at him, even hit him for treating me like trash. But, I had enough self control. The only thing I was determined to do was to ignore him. Only that could help me stay in mind. Not talking to him or pretending like he didn't exist would be the best for my internal peace. When I went down he was home but I pretended like he was not there.