Chapter 40

Heavily burdened by remorse he thought..

How did he let things get this far? Why did he not see what was coming? Where was she at fault?

The night crept slowly, darkness prevailing as if there would be no light...not now not ever. His chest tightened and he felt suffocated.

He had lost count as to how many times she had shouted. Screamed for him to stop. How many times she begged for mercy. Above all how many times had she asked for her husband to protect her.

All through he didn't let go of her. He held her secure in his embrace. It was the least he could do.

What had she gone through? More appropriately what had he shoved her into?

He touched her forehead. Her body was burning. Either it was the fever from two days ago which hadn't subsided or it was the infection from the bullet.

He sat besides her on the bed continuously putting cold water towels on her forehead to elude fever and occasionally rubbing her feet. But she slept restlessly.

He knew that the whiskey and the ripped shirt which served as a temporary bandage would provide help only for a few hours. The blood had stopped oozing thankfully. She was whimpering from pain every now and then. She needed stitches and a doctor.

Finally he lifted her up supporting her back and placed a glass of whiskey on her lips. He wanted her to drink. Maybe the bitter liquid would give her body warmth from inside.

Almost after three hours he felt relieved when she slipped into peaceful sleep.

He had to contact Roy. He needed help. It was still raining heavily but the winds had slowed down.

He checked the pocket of his blazer. His phone was ruined. The rain had done enough damage. Giving her one last look he picked up his wallet and strode out of the room locking it behind him.

"Do you have a phone? I need to make a phone call."

He hurried to the receptionist who was more than drunk. Yet the greedy man had the audicy to give Nilay a sly smile.

"Money?!" Was all he said.

Nilay took out 200$ and placed it in his open palm. He hadn't much cash left now. If this guy was much of a hinderance he would have to deal with him in his own way which he was avoiding.

His shaky hand put a telephone lying under the desk in front to him.

"What's the address of this motel?"

With much difficulty the guy told what was asked in a slurred speech and fell back on the chair closing his eyes.

Picking up the phone Nilay dialed the number. It was when he heard the bell ring that he relaxed.

"Hello?" Roy's voice crackled on the line.

"It's me.."

"Nilay! Dude where the hell have you been! We went crazy. We thought.."

"I found her."

"Where?! Where are you guys??"

Nilay gave him the address as told by the receptionist.

"Roy..."

"She..."

"She what? Is she okay?"

"She's been shot."

"What!"

"She's lost a lot of blood. I don't know how long will her body be able to cope up. Send medical help with the team."

"Don't worry. The team will get to you as soon as possible!"

"One more thing. I want a separate medical wing to be set up for her. I don't know how are you going to manage this but she has a friend named John...John Garcia. That's all I know. He's a doctor. I want him and only him treating her. Find him. By the time I get back he should be there."

"Got it."

"He stitched me up when I got shot two months back. I had called to thank him. My phone's dead. Call up the mobile company and find out about all the phone calls I made during that time. It'll be easier for you to find his number and address."

"Right away!"

"Send the team here as soon as possible Roy. We don't have much time."

"Okay."

When he put the phone down he was satisfied by the long conversation he had just made. Looking at the condition of the old set it was a big question mark as to whether it'll work or not.

He marched back to the room.

Tahira trusted John and that was the reason she had called him up last time for help. He would not risk her life with anything now.

He wanted everything to be exceptionally fool proof.

If they needed a doctor he had to be reliable enough. That is the reason he had summoned for John for he was sure that the guy will not hurt Tahira.

......

She tried opening her eyes. Her entire body pained but it was the pain in the abdomen which as unbearable. She forced her eyes open only to find the room empty.

She remembered Nilay being with her the last time she fell unconcious.

"Nilay?!" Her voice came out in a hoarse whisper. She gulped hard trying to wet her parched throat.

Had he left her again? Where was he? Had Uday found her?

She called for him again. No answer.

Gripped by panic she stepped out of the bed. He legs didn't support her weight and she fell down. Tears of fear and pain dripped from her eyes.

"Please be here...please be here..." She chanted.

She scrambled further and tried getting up with the support of the bed post. The moment she stood up a wave of terrible nausea gushed into her body and she lost balanced. She cried in despair.

"Easy! I got you.." He said scooping her up.

Her tears made his heart skip a beat. It was official. He hated to look at her cry.

She heard him and warily she met his eyes.

"Why did you get up?" He questioned tenderly putting her on the bed and wiping away her tears with his thumbs.

"I thought...you..."

"I'm not going anywhere Tahira. I'm right here...with you." He didn't let her complete.

How much he wanted to apologise. To say sorry. But was sorry enough to compensate for all that she had been through? To eradicate the nightmare that he had put her into?

No.

He would never be able to repent enough for what he had done.

At the moment there was a need burning inside him to tell her that he wasn't going to leave. He was with her and that's how it will be.

He wouldn't leave her. Not now not ever.

So that's what he did. Slipping inside the bed cautiously he pulled her in his arms and kissed her forehead.

Her body lay stiff. Her eyes wide staring at him as if waiting for him to pounce on her.

He knew after what had happened it would be difficult for her to trust any man now.

He rubbed circles on her back soothing her. Soon she relaxed. Her eyes drooped close and sleep took over.

Author's Note:-

Chapter dedication :-Victoria_Flannery :)
(Kudos to the most amaazzziinnggg personal message I've ever received!
Thanks hon!! )

Comment!

xoxo Lily<3