Chapter 60

Nikki and Dev had an early morning flight to catch so they left early. John and Erica hit off really well and headed to his apartment. Roy also bid goodbye.

"It was a good occasion for the family to get together Nilay! We guys hadn't seen you two after the marriage. And what news you two gave us! God bless you son." Tahira's dad spoke.

Nilay smiled at his father in law.

Nilay had never been on good terms with his father. He hardly remembered any time when they would sit down like a father and son and talk. They talked to each other on a cordial basis but it never had the warmth their relationship should truly hold. It was only because his mom loved his dad and also his health that Nilay had agreed to this marriage.

"I can see you have moved on Nilay." His father spoke when Tahira's dad excused himself to talk over phone.

"I'm glad. I told you she was the best you could ever have."

Nilay just nodded. He wasn't in mood to really respond. His mind was stuck on Tahira. He hadn't had a chance to talk to her after the little announcement he made. She had headed to her room with her mom.

She was caught off guard and he knew very well that she would be mad at him.

The three sat their chatting for a while.

Tahira lay her head on her mom's lap, in the room, who lovingly ran fingers through her daughter's hair.

"I missed you mom." She spoke.

"Is he keeping you happy Tahi?"

"Yes." Came her prompt reply.

"He's very caring mom. Very supportive. He..he loves me a lot." She had unshed tears in her eyes. But she didn't know of any other way to reassure her mother. So she simply lied.

Sometimes she felt like screaming. She felt like all this was a really bad nightmare. But unlike nightmares this just didn't end. And it felt like it would never end. She was just moving blindly in the dark..to where? She had no clue about that. She had started feeling unreal and she was at a point where she could do anything to make herself feel real.

"I'm scared mom."

"For what?"

"What if I don't become a good mother?"

"You know..I had the same insecurity when I was expecting Nikki and even you but you come out of it eventually. You'll be an amazing mother!"

"You think so?"

"I know so." Her mom reassured her.

"You have to take really good care of yourself. I know Nilay is doing that but you are equally responsible for your health."

"I will." She replied a little exhausted.

She slept with her mom. She was awakened by her nightmare but relaxed for her mom didn't wake up.

The next morning they dropped their parents to the airport.

"I wish you could stay longer." She spoke hugging her mom and dad.

"Next time. I promise." Her father smiled at his daughter.

She moved towards Nilay's dad who smiled even broader.

"Are you happy Tahira?" He questioned his daughter in law.

She nodded slowly.

"I know he isn't very expressive but he's not a bad man you know." He patted her head lovingly.