Chapter 52

He followed her quietly maintaining adequate distance like always. Her house was a 15 minute walk from her new workplace.

Once appraised by John it was easy to keep track of her routine. His best boy's had been keeping an eagle eye on her and he was informed about everything.

He remembered going into the house. It was piece of cake for him to get inside when she wasn't there.

A living room with an open kitchen. A master bedroom and a bathroom. She kept in small and simple.

A huge corner of her living room which she had dedicated to painting. Easels of different sizes, colour pallets, paint brushes and finished and unfinished paintings lay scattered facing the huge window.

No other furniture, no couch, no table, just two stools at the kitchen isle.

Her wardrobe was no more than a few dresses for she had left everything back in California. He frowned and then smiled shaking his head when he found his shirt hanging there.

What had caught his attention was the bedroom. On the bedside table was a picture of them two. He had picked it up. The wedding pictures were the only pictures of them together.

One of her hands in the crook of his elbow and the other on his chest, she looked very much a beautiful smiling bride standing next to him. Her eyes twinkling with happiness. That was the happiest he had ever seen her.

Only if she knew what fate had in store.

He was recalled of how with every passing day her eyes lost that twinkle and harbored pain and hollowness.

He had vowed her would get that smile back on her face.

.......

He followed her inside the building and without hesitation slipped inside the elevators with her. She was busy looking for something in her handbag so he went unnoticed. It was when her apartment keys fell down from her hands he bent down to pick them up.

Straightening up he handed them to her.

With a smile she looked up.

"Oh! Thanky..." The incomplete word came out.

She saw him and her smile dropped. She didn't panick or fear him. Instead she let out a sigh.

None spoke s word. Once they reached the 9th level she got out and he followed her without word. Unlocking the door she opened it for him to step inside.

"Will you take something?" She asked him.

"Coffee." She nodded and got to work.

He strolled to her paintings. She painted beautifully. Every stroke was bold and clear. The colours mixed well yet each one stood out individually.

"You paint well."

"Thanks."

She set their coffee with some biscuits on the table and carefully sat opposite him avoiding his gaze. She let out a tired sigh.

She didn't know what to speak.

He looked at her intently. There was nothing but respect for the woman sitting opposite him in his mind. Strength, beauty and innocence she bore it all.

And she was his. Nobody on earth could now take her away from him. Nobody.

Before she could speak he continued.

"I'm tired. Can I take a shower."

She frowned.

Was he here to take a shower?!