Chapter 38

He was known for his dedication, service and bravery. There was no way that he would run from opposition at any instance. He would stay strong and fight.

But today staring into her innocent eyes filled with anguish and despair Nilay held her hand and ran.

He always thought worst come worst what would happen? He would die...for a good cause. Death they say is inevitable. Then why fear it?

But at the moment he knew he wouldn't be able to fight all these men alone.

It wasn't about him dying it was all about saving her. Taking her miles away from this black hole he had shoved her into.

Her limbs ached. Her body craved for rest. She pushed her legs faster to meet up with his pace. Her strength and breath leaving her with every step they took.

Two bikers driving after them with guns in their hands. But Uday wanted them alive.

Nilay held her hand tighter and swung his body on the road with her on top. Abruptly turned them the other way round with her on the ground.

There bodies dirty from the rain and wet mud.

Squatting and shielding her behind him he took aim and within seconds both the men lay dead on ground.

He hauled her up and dashed towards the fallen bike.

"Tahira just hold on tight!"

She grimaced when she parted her thighs to sit on the bike. Her fingers clutched his blazer tightly. She held onto him..her head resting on his shoulder eyes tightly closed.

He drove.

The rain made it difficult for him to look further. Going by his instinct rolled the accelerator at full power. Dodging the gun shots he peered faster.

A bolt of lightening and the rain showed no mercy. The bike lost balance on the slippery road.

She shrieked. But didn't let go of him.

What if she lost him again?

If it was not his foot which hit the ground on time they would have skidded and fallen down, off the narrow road.

The violent gust wind was of no help. But he didn't stop. He just drove.

He had to protect her.

It made it difficult for him to hear anything or anybody. A gun shot making a stone bounce just in front of the tire told him that they were still being followed.

He risked looking back. It was then it happened. As if God was on their side. There was no chance that he missed it.

A landslide!

"F*ck"! He shouted.

Her grip tightened for a moment and then retired to her usual hold as was for so long.

A smile broke on his face. He kept on driving increasing the distance between Uday and them till nobody was seen.

Torrents of rain fell harder. It was obvious they wouldn't be chased anymore. They had lost him way back.

Yes they were safe. But only for a night probably.

He slowed down. They rode a good few miles away when he spoke.

"Tahira! Are you okay?"

He felt her grip loosen. The bike wobbled and her body fell towards the right.

In time his right arm snatched back securing her waist. They fell off the bike but he took the entire impact. Her body on top of his.

The bike crashed somewhere into the tree.

"Tahira?!"

She lay limp on top of him. He got up and placed her on the road. The water around her body turning red.

She was shot.

His body sprang into action. Sitting on his knees he pulled her lifeless form into his lap.

"Tahira!" He patted her face.

He took her face in between his thumb and fingers. Her eyes opened up staring into his.

"You'll be fine. Okay? I'm right here....right here." He breathed.

The rain slowed down a bit.

He saw her lips curved up slightly into a soft smile. With much difficulty she raised her bloody hand and her fingers lightly brushed his cheek. Before it fell to her side and her eyes fluttered close he heard her...heard her correct.

A voice full of pain.

"I love you."