Chapter 20

Tahira's pov

The entire time Uday was there I was suffocating. I wanted to run away from him and never see his face again. Nevertheless I had to do it. I had to face him. I was astonished at myself for actually being strong at that moment and being stern with him. I guess I am not as weak as I think.

I was totally drained when he finally left and my legs gave way making me fall to the ground. Soon I found a pair of hands pull me up roughly. Before I could protest I realised it was Nilay and what he did next shocked me. He hugged me. I froze. I made no efforts...no efforts to push him away or to hug him back. I stood rooted to the ground like a statue. I was scared and tired and him being that close calmed me down, but I didn't know how to react. His arms gave me a sense of reassurance that everything will be alright. I finally found the tranquillity and comfort which was lost somewhere after marriage. That combined feeling of disbelief and contentment warmed my heart and I hung onto him.

He created a gap between us and cupped my face in his hands and asked me in a comforting manner "Hey..you okay?"

I looked up to meet his eyes staring intensely at me. I didn't know what, but my eyes searched for something in his black ones. Maybe the same questions that I asked myself often - Was he worried? Did he care?

I managed to nod. I continued to stare at him blankly and he shook me slightly. That's when I came out of my trance and took a step back. With my hands still resting on his chest I took a deep breath and momentarily closed my eyes tilting my head towards the ground.

"Good. Don't be overwhelmed because this is just the beginning. We have a lot of work to do." He spoke truthfully.

I realised that such moments would never last in my life. They are just not meant for me. At the same time, I felt ashamed of liking his hug. How could my body react to him this way when I know what he has done or wants me to do?!

"Maybe I don't deserve these moments." I whispered.

"Huh?"

I shook my head.

"Boys, you can leave. I want you at the restaurant sharp at 8:30." He said holding his hand to his ear.

I blinked at him in confusion. In some time I understood that he must have come with a team of men for the evening just in case something went wrong.

"Where is your car?"

"There." I pointed.

"Let's go." when I made no efforts to move he took my hand and pulled me with him.

Once we reached the car he opened it for me and gently gave me a push inside.

"It's 6:30 already. I don't want you to be late. Go freshen up and get ready."

He was about to close the door when he said "It's a Latin Spanish place. Please make some effort. Do your hair, make-up and everything well. You need to look good tonight! Okay?"

She gave him a sweet smile which was soon replaced by a scowl and with a quick motion slammed the door close. If not for his alertness his hand would have got injured due to the closing door. As she drove off his lips curled up into a smile.

"It's fun to see you get angry Tahira!" He said to himself.

Tahira was fuming when she reached home.

"What does he think of himself? He thinks I don't know how to dress up? Actually he's right. Ugghhh."

She rushed up to the bathroom and took a nice bath washing her hair. With a towel wrapped around her hair she came out in her bathrobe and switched on her laptop.