23

"Very good, Miyako, Kisumi. You're dismissed for today."

"Yes, Madara-sama."

The two ten year old proteges of [Name] bowed respectfully to their clan elder, before turning and doing the same towards their teacher.

"I'll see you two tomorrow," instructed the Kouhage, arms crossed as she watched them stand up.

"Yes, [Name]-sensei."

The pair took off giggling as they shoved each other to the side, playfully hitting each other with the wooden blades they had used to display what they had learnt from [Name]. As a part of evaluating the effectiveness of [Name]'s teaching skills and practises, Madara had randomly selected two of her students and pitted them against each other to see if all the children were really learning as much as they could from the Kouhage. Needless to say, the Uchiha was satisfied with the promise the students were showing.

"I'm impressed," stated Madara as he turned to [Name], who awkwardly turned away from her superior. Noticing [Name]'s distant behaviour, Madara raised and eyebrow and asked, "Is something wrong, [Name]?"

"Uh, not that I know of?" said [Name] in a controlled voice, wanting to end the conversation with Madara as soon as possible. "The children are all picking up quicker than I expected. Your clan's natural abilities truly amaze me."

Madara chuckled at [Name]'s sugarcoated words, crossing his arms and shooting her a knowing look.

"I wasn't talking about the children, [Name]. Come, walk with me for a bit."

As Madara turned on his heel, [Name] silently let out a groan. Her promise to avoid the higher up lingered at the back of her mind, and she wanted to make sure that she didn't stay with him longer than necessary.

"How are things going with Sasuke?" hummed the Uchiha as [Name] caught up to him, falling into step. "Is he well?"

"He is very well, thank you for asking."

"And Sakura? How are things going between the two of them?" inquired Madara, glancing sideways at [Name]. She purposely avoided his gaze, staring ahead at the path in front of them.

"I wouldn't have a clue," she replied in a soft voice. "You'd have to ask Sasuke about that."

"For such a brilliant kunoichi, you really are a terrible liar," chuckled Madara, smirking at the Kouhage. "The question is, what are you lying about?"

"With all due respect, Madara-sama, I am being one hundred percent honest," said [Name] calmly, not wanting to say anything she would regret later on. "Our household is well. And I know nothing about Sasuke and Sakura's relationship."

"If you insist," sighed the Uchiha, dropping the subject. "I didn't mean to upset you."

"I'm anything but upset, Madara-sama."

As they continued walking, presumably towards [Name]'s home, Madara spoke once more.

"I had hoped that by now you would be more familiar with me," he said, rather disappointedly. "But I guess I was wrong to hope so."

"I- I don't understand your words, Madara-sama," stuttered [Name], Sasuke's words now making themselves present in her mind. Chuckling at [Name]'s timid reply, Madara placed a hand on the Kouhage's head, making her freeze.

"Never mind them. I look forward to seeing the children you are training perform in our next battle against the Sasaki clan. No doubt it will be good practise for them."

"What?!" yelped [Name], finding an excuse to jump away from the Uchiha's touch. "You're already planning on sending them into battle?!"

"They need the experience if they want to survive in battles against more formidable clans."