42

Weeks later, having left [Name] to eat with Sakura while Michiko watched over Sarada, Sasuke noticed a bird walking around the wooden corridor outside of the master bedroom, and it was only upon closer inspection that he recognised it as the messenger hawk that had delivered Mai's last letter to his wife.

  "... huh. Another letter?"  

Curious as to what Mai could have wanted to tell [Name] now, the Uchiha tentatively followed the hawk and carefully undid the string that held onto the small, red envelope, raising an eyebrow as he did so. Like the last letter, it had been sealed by Mai using [Name]'s father's seal, and addressed to Sasuke.

"I wonder what the last letter was about..." murmured the raven as he broke open the seal and opened the envelope. Once more, he was greeted by a message from Mai explaining how she had used his name to avoid any nosy clansmen from taking it, but this time, he completely tore off the envelope and held up the letter to see it better in the faint light of the sunset.

"Huh." Noticing the thickness of Mai's letter, it didn't take the Uchiha long to figure out that there was another sheet of paper concealed within it.

Glancing warily over his shoulder in case [Name] were to come out, Sasuke tore off the top layer of Mai's letter, skeptical about what he was going to find inside. He hadn't brought up Mai's last letter to her, considering they had been in a rush to go off to battle- however, his curiosity this time around was getting the better of him. Why would Mai find the need to conceal a secret letter within her own?

Scrunching up Mai's external letter, Sasuke lifted the inner piece of paper to his eyes as he read the short, yet highly informative message.

[Name],
I know you told me to stop writing to you, but I feel obligated to tell you the news. Hinata and I had a son a while ago, but I couldn't bring myself to write to you until now. His name is Boruto. I hope everything is well with you and the Uchiha. Please know that I will always be here in case you need anything.

I love you.
Naruto.

Once he had read the letter, Sasuke scowled and scrunched it up, not having the time or energy to deal with the Uzumaki. After so many challenges and obstacles, he and [Name] had finally settled down and made it clear that they were dedicated to each other, and their marriage.

He was not going to allow the pathetic ally of the Senju to weasel his way back into [Name]'s heart, much less her mind. She hadn't shown any signs of missing her ex-lover in a while, and Sasuke was going to make sure it stayed that way.

"You're wasting your time," spat the Uchiha, picking up all traces of the letter and envelope, incinerating it in his hands. "You absolute fool."

***

Following Sarada's birth, months passed, and there seemed to be nothing out of the ordinary for Sasuke and [Name]. With Madara's new duties as the clan leader, he became far too busy to even consider doing anything that would threaten the pair's relationship, something which the couple were thankful for.

They had since settled into a steady lifestyle, balancing their work and personal lives, and soon enough, Sakura had become confident enough to take care of Sarada without Michiko's help. The midwife eventually moved out, and now, [Name] and Sakura were left to raise Sarada, with Sasuke watching as a bystander and refusing to partake in raising his own daughter.

"Good girl, Sarada!"

As [Name] played with the young girl underneath the tree outside their home, Sasuke sat quietly outside the master bedroom as he watched on.