26

"Huh, how strange."

As [Name] prepared for their battle with the Sasaki clan, Sasuke walked back into the room holding a red envelope with flower patterns on it.

"What is it?" asked [Name], tying her hair into a tight bun, and sticking in pins to ensure it didn't come loose. Sasuke had already dressed in his standard battle attire, and had stepped out to leave [Name] to finish getting ready; however, he'd been surprised to find a messenger hawk wandering around their front balcony, causing him to wonder how on earth it had gotten there.

"I'm not sure, but it's addressed to me," frowned the Uchiha, ripping the top off of the envelope and breaking the seal. Pulling out the letter within, he sighed as he deduced it was actually for [Name], considering the first two lines were, Dear Sasuke, I'm sorry but I had to address the letter to you in case it was intercepted by someone from your clan. Please give this to [Name]. Regards, Sawako (Mai). "I guess I was wrong. It's for you."

"Huh? Who's sending me mail?" asked [Name], perplexed as she took the envelope from Sasuke and turned around. "Oh, it's from Mai. That's odd."

"Has something happened at home?"

[Name] shrugged in response to the Uchiha's question, just as clueless as him. It had been around two months since [Name] had settled into the Uchiha clan, and since she had left she hadn't received any word from her family.

"I'd hope not. Anyways, you go ahead, I have to finish packing my stuff," said [Name], folding the paper and tucking it into her bindings. "I'll read it later."

"I'll wait for you outside."

Nodding as Sasuke walked out, [Name] began gathering her weapons, hoping that she'd get the opportunity to speak to her students before they were dispatched. However, curiosity got the better of her, and once she had carefully put on her scabbard, she pulled out Mai's letter to continue reading it.

The initial letter that had had Sasuke's name on it was actually two sheets of paper stuck together, with what appeared to be a third one hidden in between it.

"Mai, what the hell?" muttered [Name] as she carefully pried the two sheets of paper apart, foregoing the rest of the letter she had written under her directions to Sasuke. "Your name's Sawako now, huh?"

As she ripped the two sheets apart, the third one fluttered to the ground, and she scrutinised it with utmost suspicion.

"What's so secret not even Sasuke could see it, huh?" asked [Name], picking up the fallen sheet. Once she did, she would immediately regret her decision.

[Name],
I am so sorry. I know you told me to stop contacting you, but I can't bring myself to do it. I can't go on like this, without asking for your forgiveness. I'm so sorry, [Name], I've betrayed you. Hinata is currently with child, and it's all my fault. You told me to be a good husband to Hinata, and I have been. But I can't help but feel like I'm betraying you, dishonouring your memory. Please, all I need to hear is that you'll forgive me- living like this is torture. I love and miss you so much. My life is a living hell. Have mercy on me and at least tell me that you can forgive me. Please. I need to hear from you.

After taking a good few minutes to process the Uzumaki's words, [Name] shook her head with a small sigh.

"Naruto, you idiot."

Looking around the room for a brush and ink pot, [Name] took the second sheet that had hidden Naruto's original message and tore off a small piece, swiftly writing her reply.

It's okay. Raise your children well.

Blowing on the ink so that it would dry quickly, [Name] hastily rolled the piece of paper into a little scroll, and tearing off yet another strip from the same sheet, she used it to tie it around the middle of the message, securing it safely.