34

Madara watched as he saw [Name] exit her home, quickly slipping on her shoes as she got out onto the front porch and slung her sheathed blade over her shoulder. Since the Uchiha had been elected as the new clan leader, he had had little time to approach the Kouhage. That is, until now. It can't have been later than six in the morning, but there [Name] was, all geared up for another day at work.

Months had passed since Madara had approached Sasuke to join the council, and the days leading up to Sasuke and Sakura's child's birth were hectic, with [Name] taking on the roles as midwife, housewife, and teacher. Izumi had long ago retired to prepare herself for her first born child's birth, and as a result, [Name] had gotten extremely busy. 

In the mornings, as the first one awake she would make breakfast not just for herself, but Sakura and Sasuke, before heading off to teach Izumi's former students the basics of ninjutsu; in the afternoons, she would dismiss them for lunch, and then teach her older students how not to die on the battlefield. In the evenings, [Name] would find herself rushing to Sazae's for medicine to alleviate Sakura's pains, and then rush home to whip up dinner for herself, Sasuke- whose classes tended to last later than hers, so resulted in him being unable to help her- and the Haruno. Following the clean up, which Sasuke thankfully helped in, she would assist Sakura in the most meager tasks, such as helping her stand up and sit down, as well as giving massages where appropriate, and helping her bathe at home. 

After much pestering from the Kouhage, Sasuke had finally relented and purchased a bath so that Sakura would not have to walk all the way to the communal baths to get cleaned up. But since it still required [Name] to haul water from the well and heat it up, it did irk him that by the time he and [Name] could spend time together, she was too drained of energy to even keep up conversation with him, let alone want to engage in any sexual activity.

"[Name]!"

Stepping out from his hiding place, Madara waved a hand at the busy Kouhage, who stumbled in her step as she wondered whether to stop and talk to the new head of clan, or just bow and keep going on with her business.

"Madara-sama!" [Name] bowed nervously as Madara approached her, knowing that she had to be down at the training grounds soon. "It's, um, very early for you to be out! Long time no see! I hope all has been well for you."

"It has, it has," said the Uchiha lightly, smiling as he took in the Kouhage's image. Compared to how she had looked when she first came to join the clan, [Name] looked utterly exhausted, but pleased nonetheless. "You seem to have lost some weight. I do hope you're taking care of yourself."

"Oh, I'm fine!" insisted [Name], clutching onto her saya as she looked up at the leader. "Is there something I can help you with?

"Actually, I came to deliver some good news," said the Uchiha, indicating to her to keep walking. "Shall we head to the training grounds?"

"Of course!"

As [Name] walked alongside Madara, her earlier fears of him had since receded, mostly because she had been too worried about everything else in her life going on. She had to make sure that Sakura was happy and healthy, the baby was happy and healthy, Sasuke was happy and healthy, and that her students were happy and healthy. She had little room in her life to worry about anything else- even her own well-being. Plus, the Uchiha had been absent from her and Sasuke's lives for such a long time that even Sasuke had simmered down with his accusations and paranoia about Madara stealing [Name] from him, content with only having to see his uncle at council meetings and on the battlefield.

"In light of your amazing ability to cope with all these new responsibilities, I've taken it upon myself to enlist you with yet another aide who can help you out with Izumi's children," said Madara gently. "Or, if you want, give them over entirely. You really look like you could use the rest."

"Really? That's great!" exclaimed [Name] happily, not one to turn down help when she needed it. "That's really great!"

"I'm glad you think so," chuckled the Uchiha. "Shisui himself volunteered for the role. He came to me personally a couple of days ago, which was quite surprising, but who am I to turn down such an offer? That's a decision that should be left up to you."

"Shisui?" asked [Name] incredulously, surprised that one of the clan's best shinobi had volunteered to teach the younger children. She had only met Shisui once, but that meeting in itself was enough for her to decide that she enjoyed his company, and looked forward to being able to work alongside him even if only for a short while. "That's... unexpected, but great! I'll make sure to speak with him in more detail when we get the chance."

"I had hoped you would think so," smiled Madara, patting [Name] on the head, immediately making her wince. "I'm very sorry I haven't been able to speak to you lately. But it appears that the both of us are too busy to do anything about it, right?"

"Uh, yes," said [Name] hurriedly as the training grounds came into view. "Yes, it's quite a shame. It is nice to see that you are still well, though."

"How are you feeling about the birth of Sasuke's first child? Are you excited?"

"In a way, yes, but also dreading the responsibilities that will follow," sighed [Name] tiredly, just wanting Madara to let her get her day over and done with. "I just hope that Sakura will be able to cope with everything, because I can only help so much."

"You know, if you ever need a hand, you can always approach the clan midwives and ask for assistance," suggested Madara softly, still remembering Sasuke's words of [Name] wanting her own child. "Although this will be good experience for when you have your own children, we have the midwives for a reason. Right now, your job is being a kunoichi."

"Yes, I understand," sighed [Name]. "Really, I promise it won't affect my duties- I've had enough experience looking after children to know what to do. Once Sakura is settled and comfortable with the child, I'll allow a midwife to take over. And I'm fully aware I won't be able to have children of my own for a while. I understand my duties to this clan, Madara-sama."

"Thank you for your patience, [Name]. I hope you understand that I only have the clan's best intentions in mind."

"That's only natural. Oh- there's Shisui!" exclaimed [Name], just able to make out the Uchiha's figure as he stood on the empty training grounds, seeming to be waiting for her. Upon catching sight of [Name] and Madara, Shisui smiled and waved at [Name], calling out, "Long time no see, Kouhage!"

"I guess I'll leave you two be," said Madara, glancing warily at the waving, unruly haired Uchiha. "I'll see you around, [Name]. If not during our free time, then at least at our battle with the Miyazaki."

"Yes, I'll see you around!" Bowing deeply to the leader once more, [Name] straightened up and smiled before heading towards Shisui, waving her arms around at him.

"Shisui! How have you been?!"

As Madara watched [Name] approach Shisui with utmost excitement, he scowled at how familiar they already were with each other.

"Well, well, someone looks happy this morning! Did you and Sasuke have a fun time last night?"

"Shisui!"

Turning away upon hearing Shisui's cheeky remark, Madara closed his eyes and took a deep breath, anguished at how she was already forming what appeared to be a close friendship with him.

"That's fine," murmured Madara to himself as he began striding off. "That's very fine. She's a likable woman- of course other people want to know her."

For now, Madara was calm.

For now.