53

"How did the meeting with Akinobu go?"

As Madara and his father sat at the table waiting for their servants to lay out their dinner, the wizened old Uchiha glanced at his only surviving son, having sensed a different air around him from the moment he had stepped in the house.

"It went well," said Madara softly. "He will be sending up half of his forces within the next week, as well as enough families to fill the homes left behind by those who deserted us for the Senju, primarily the families of their craftsmen who will begin construction on new homes for the rest of their clan. Thanks to the amount of abandoned houses ready for our use, we will be saving time on building new homes. Since a majority of the abandoned houses lay in the southern part of the compound, we will designate that area for the Kouhage, and expand it accordingly."

"I see. And what did Akinobu ask for in return?"

Madara couldn't suppress his smile.

"He requested that I make [Name] my wife," explained the current leader. "My primary wife. So that with the birth of any heirs may strengthen our alliance, and finalise the merging of our two clans. We are also hoping to encourage intermarriage between our youth, to make amalgamation easier."

"[Name]? Sasuke's wife?"

"Yes, otou-sama."

"What will happen to Sasuke?"

"We have decided that Sakura will be elevated to the position of primary wife, in order to strengthen our alliance with the Haruno," continued Madara, looking less interested in what would become of Sasuke's marriages. "Her elevation will give us grounds to request the Haruno to send us their forces as well, as they will have an heir within our clan in the form of Sarada."

"I see." Tajima went silent as their servants reentered the room, setting out the pair's meal before backing out and sliding the door quietly behind themselves. "So how does this work? Will there be a wedding for you and [Name]? We must find her marriage agreement with Sasuke and amend it right away. What do you think?"

"I... haven't really considered it, otou-sama. Surely several clan members will find it odd that [Name] is remarrying, and marrying me no less."

"While it may not be [Name]'s first marriage, it is still yours," pointed out Tajima. "Surely you must want a grand wedding, considering she will be your primary wife. Besides, amidst all this war talk, I think a wedding would be a breath of fresh air. Once her clan starts moving in, it will make sense to our family why the things we do are being done. What do you say?"

"Only with your blessing, otou-sama."

Madara bowed his head at his father, prompting a chuckle from the elder.

"Finally," grinned Tajima, clucking his tongue. "May I expect a grandchild before I meet my end?"

Madara sighed at his father's words, knowing that his rapidly deteriorating health was the reason why he had had to take over the clan.

"Heavens willing."

***

"So, how was your day, Sasuke?"

[Name], Sasuke, Sakura, and Sarada all sat at the table that night, eating dinner together. Tensions between Sakura and Sasuke had long ago relaxed, resulting in all four members of the family being able to harmoniously sit down and enjoy their meals in each other's company.

From the moment he had returned home, Sasuke had stormed straight to the room and barricaded himself in, which worried both of his wives. After a lot of coaxing they had finally managed to get him to join them, but there was no mistaking the fury in his eyes.