07

The next morning, Fugaku and Itachi departed from the Kouhage stronghold, and Madara remained behind with Sasuke to await their return with the Uchiha's share of marriage gifts.

"I wonder if [Name] will be doing anything today."

Sasuke sneered as Madara brought up [Name], choosing to ignore his fanciful question. Having both woken up at the same time as Fugaku and Itachi to see them off, the pair were now sitting in their allocated room, waiting for the rest of the household to arise. The sun had yet to make its arrival, but slowly and steadily, the sound of the servants getting up for work was becoming audible.

"I think it would be a good idea for us to talk to [Name] again. Don't you think so?"

"Whatever you want," said Sasuke, having little care for his older cousin's words. He was already over this trip.

"She's a very pretty girl," continued Madara, getting to his feet. "I almost envy you, Sasuke. I wouldn't have minded having her as my bride. But, oh well. She wouldn't have taken a liking to an old man like me."

"With all due respect, you're not that old. You act like it, but you're not old."

Madara chuckled at the bluntness of Sasuke's words, shaking his head.

"You're right. But yes. Let's spend the day with [Name], shall we? Not traditional, but what else is there to do around here?"

***

Not too long after Fugaku and Itachi's departure, Sasuke and Madara were called to join Akinobu and his sons for breakfast. After they had eaten their fill, Madara leaned across the table.

"Akinobu-san, you wouldn't happen to know of [Name]'s plans for today?" he asked meticulously, raising his eyebrows at the clan leader. Akinobu let out a hearty laugh and leaned back in his seat, returning Madara's look.

"Now that you ask, she has none!" declared the Kouhage. Beside him, Akiyuki and Akinari exchanged side eyes, knowing that by cancelling [Name]'s plans for the day, their father was setting himself up for a violent protest.

"Splendid! I know it must be extremely rude of me to ask, but we would like to meet with [Name] more today," continued Madara. "It's against usual tradition, but Sasuke is really curious about his wife to be. I mean, she nearly killed him. Of course he wants to know more about her."

A look of annoyance crossed Sasuke's face as Madara used him as a ploy to get through Akinobu, irritated that Madara was making it sound like Sasuke genuinely had romantic interest in [Name].

"... no problem! If you're ready to meet with her, Akiyuki will take you over to her home right now."

"Huh?"

"Now, Akiyuki!"

"Y-yes, father."

Quickly shoving the last of his food into his mouth, Akiyuki rose to his feet and hurried out of the room, planning to wait for his guests at the door.

"Thank you. Now if you'll excuse us, we'll be taking our leave."

"No problem! Take all the time you need with [Name] today. She's all yours."

The glint in Akinobu's eye wasn't one that Sasuke particularly liked, but he ignored it and followed Madara as he rose to his feet, exiting the room.

"I can't believe you used me as your excuse to see [Name]," muttered Sasuke under his breath as he followed Madara into the corridor, keeping his voice low in case any servants were around. "If you wanted to see her, why didn't you just say so."