65

"How was your day?"

[Name] looked at Madara over the rim of her bowl as she drank her soup, raising an eyebrow at his question. Beside him, Tajima sat quietly eating his own meal, and [Name] set down her bowl with a sigh.

"Ayumu gave birth to her second child, but she didn't make it," said [Name] glumly, wishing Madara hadn't brought up her day. "The child survives, though. Poor Takumi had to leave in the afternoon to fetch Junpei from class. They're preparing things for Ayumu's burial."

"Ah. What a terrible loss."

Madara grimaced at [Name] as she stared sadly at her bowl of rice, feeling guilt for the events that had transpired that day. Although, in all actuality, there was nothing she could have done. Her role was simply to assist the midwives in their duties, by fetching towels, hot water, and whatever else they needed to use for the birth. Since she had first began working with the midwives, Ayumu had been one of the women she and her mentor, Yui, had been overseeing. It involved frequent visits to Ayumu's home, as well as several appointments in which they would check how things were with the baby.

[Name] had grown attached to the woman, and now, she was devastated.

"It's okay," said Madara softly. "Things happen."

[Name]'s hand subconsciously went to her own belly, and she glanced up at Madara.

"And what if that happens to me?"

"It won't."

"How can you be so sure, Madara? I'm already a month pregnant. What if I meet Ayumu's fate?"

At [Name]'s words, Madara's eyes widened and he spat out the tea he had been sipping, his jaw agape as he looked [Name] up and down.

"How do you know you're pregnant?!" he exclaimed, having hoped to keep it a secret from her until he could surprise her with the news. It was easy for him to sense the child's formation in her belly using his Sharingan, but since [Name] hadn't shown the other signs of early pregnancy, such as nausea, he had assumed that she would be unaware of the child's presence.

"How do you know I'm pregnant?" shot back [Name] suspiciously, narrowing her eyes at the Uchiha's question. 

"I could see the child's chakra signature growing within you the other night. How do you know you're pregnant?"

"I'm not an idiot," snapped [Name], folding her arms furiously. "In case you haven't noticed, I work alongside the midwives. That, plus I've missed my period. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what's happened. I know my own body."

"Well, that ruins the surprise," sighed Madara, scratching the back of his head. "I was hoping we could schedule a formal appointment with Yui to confirm, but I guess it's unnecessary, huh?"

"Obviously."

[Name]'s voice was sharp as she continued eating, leaving Madara to stare incredulously at her across the table.

"But... how do you feel?" he asked, fidgeting around in his seat. "You haven't been, you know, throwing up and stuff."

"I know."

"So... you're alright?" asked Madara tentatively, peering eagerly at [Name].

"For now. Yes."

"[Name], aren't you excited?!" the leader finally burst out, slamming his hands down on the table as he was unable to contain his joy. "We're going to be parents! Parents!"

[Name] closed her eyes and took a deep breath, trying not to get too overwhelmed. One of her patients had just died, and being happy was the last thing on her mind.