44

Madara slammed down a letter he had received from the newly elected head of the Senju clan, letting all the other council members before him take a good look at it.

The members closest to him apart from Izuna all glanced at the words on the page, wondering what the meeting today would be about. Further away at the back of the room, Sasuke sat in between Itachi and Shisui, looking as uninterested as always, while Fugaku, Baru, and Kagami regarded the letter with detestation.

"Hashirama has been instated as the leader of the Senju clan," said Madara in a loud voice, watching as the three older council members quickly skimmed through the letter apprehensively. "And apparently, he believes that it gives him the right to call for a meeting with me to discuss a permanent... truce."

His words were met by jeers and scowls of distaste, which simmered down once he raised his hand. Madara's cool gaze trailed off to Sasuke, who was seated at the back staring blankly at the wall.

"Sasuke, do have a look. I want all of you to read it."

Raising an eyebrow at the leader, Sasuke reluctantly took the letter from his father, and placed it on the floor before him so he, Itachi, and Shisui could all read it together.

"In order to make sure that our meeting is as neutral as possible, the Senju have asked that we each have an ally attend alongside ourselves," said Madara crisply, watching as the younger council members scanned Hashirama's writing. "These allies will be our mediators, the ones in charge of ensuring that it is a peaceful meeting."

Sasuke frowned as he saw the mention of the name "Uzumaki" in Hashirama's letter, glancing curiously at Madara to see just what he had planned.

"He wishes me to meet him at Chūo River, at the point where it passes the Shirizaki Forest, but knowing him, his brother won't be too far behind," elaborated Madara. "So, Izuna too will accompany me, but inconspicuously. As you all know, the river marks the boundaries between our territory, and the Senju's. It is Hashirama's intention to bring a shinobi from the Uzumaki clan to join in the meeting to watch over us as a peacemaker, alongside an ally of our own. However, just because they wish to speak of peace, it doesn't necessarily mean we will do so."

With that, Madara nodded at Izuna, who straightened up and cleared his throat.

"Due to the nature of our plan, we cannot allow merely any ally to attend this meeting with us," said the younger Uchiha brother loudly, looking each and everyone of the council members in the eye.

"We cannot be sure that an ally that lives outside of our clan would wholeheartedly participate in taking down the two Senju- we would only worry that they would interfere from us attacking, and even possibly betray us. It is for security reasons that we have chosen [Name], formerly of the Kouhage clan, and wife to Sasuke."

Sasuke sat up straight at the mention of [Name], immediately disputing the decision. There was no way on earth he was going to let her go anywhere without him, let alone with Madara.

"[Name]? Why her?"

"[Name] is as valuable an asset to our clan as she is a deadly force to be reckoned with on the battlefield," explained Izuna, glancing over at his nephew. "She is a skilled kunoichi, and has proven that she has only our clan's best interests in mind. There is no doubt in my mind that [Name] is perfectly capable of incapacitating the Uzumaki delegate while Madara and I deal to Hashirama, and most likely, Tobirama as well."

"You're not even going to think about discussing peace?" asked Sasuke incredulously, earning looks of exasperation from the others. Madara chuckled, while Izuna rolled his eyes at the younger Uchiha's surprised remark.