12

"I'm excited to meet Sasuke and his family."

The next evening, Megumi sat behind [Name] as Tomoko, Fumiko, and Mai all helped her dress for the night, going big for [Name]'s final night as a single woman. Her face had been powdered lightly to give her a pale complexion, with bright red rouge dabbed against her lips to stand out against the rest of her face. This red complimented the bright red outer layer of her kimono she was wearing, which had to be the most intricately patterned one she owned. It was littered with depictions of cranes, a variety of flowers, artistically presented trees and their branches, and boasted an array of brilliant, dramatic colours. The kimono itself was accentuated with a white obi which bore similar designs to the red material, and was tied behind her back in a big bow. To complete her look, a bright red obijime was wrapped around the center of the obi, from which [Name] ensured that her treasured netsuke would be able to hang from.

"You look so beautiful!" squealed Mai as she helped put on [Name]'s tabi, since she had to remain completely still while the older women helped do her hair and add all the necessary accessories. "If he hasn't already, Sasuke's bound to fall in love with you after this!"

[Name] lightly scoffed at the idea, having already established it in her mind that she and Sasuke were bound to end up being just good friends.

"I doubt he's having to go through this much trouble to get ready," sneered [Name], already jealous of how little effort Sasuke would have to put into preparing for the meeting of their families. Megumi, now seeing that [Name]'s attire was coming together well, stood up and took her leave, saying, "I'll go help your father get ready, so that we can leave in time and get to your uncle's house on time."

"Got it."

[Name] sighed as her mother exited, not feeling enthusiastic about tonight.

"I wonder how much the Uchiha are paying for you," asked Tomoko as she brushed [Name]'s hair carefully, pulling it to the back of the head and prompting Fumiko to begin doing it up. "I saw their envoy arrive this morning and I've got to say, they brought a lot of things and people."

"More people have come too?" asked [Name], curious.

"Yeah. I'd assume they're here for the wedding celebrations after the ceremony between your immediate families."

"Exactly... how many people do you think came?"

"Not too many," shrugged Fumiko, comb in her mouth as she smoothed out [Name]'s thick hair. "Maybe around thirty or so. It should be fine, we were expecting a bunch of them anyway."

"Where will they be staying?" yelped [Name] as Fumiko unintentionally yanked at her tresses.

"Ooh, sorry. Not sure, but I'm sure your uncle has arranged a decent place for them to stay at for the next couple of nights. They won't be here that long, anyway."

"Yeah, and neither will I."

A heavy silence befell the room at [Name]'s words, and she sighed after a while.

"Sorry. I just killed the mood, didn't I."

"A little, but it's understandable," said Tomoko softly, placing a hand on [Name]'s shoulder. "You must be nervous."

"Nervous, scared, sad. I'm a lot of things right now."

***

"Here we go! The star of the night!"

[Name]'s ears were greeted by the arrogant sound of her uncle's booming laugh as she stepped into the room where Akinobu and the Uchiha awaited her, thankful for her makeup as her bright red blush would have been visible otherwise.