Chapter 6: The Sacrifices Made For The Betterment of All

"Why do you want this baby?" I asked Klaus as soon as I returned to New Orleans.

He turned back to me in shock and raced to wrap me in a tight embrace. "I—I thought something had happened. I was terrified."

"I'm fine." I said with a laugh as I pulled away and he kissed my forehead. "Fiore won't get me that easily. But I am sorry. I should've said something."

"And I don't want the baby." He told me. "I want you."

"Don't lie for my sake." I said with a shake of my head. "Tell me why you want this baby. Because I think you want the baby because this kid gives you something you've never believed you had." I told him.

"Which is?"

"The unconditional love of a family." I replied causing him to turn sheepish.

"Sophie Devereaux has linked herself to you." He told me, switching the subject. "And she will only undo this curse if we get rid of Marcel."

"You can tell Sophie Devereux we have a deal."

**********************************************************************************

"I have my own house, you know?" I told Elijah as he led me through the enormous white mansion. I pulled over a sheet and began to cough heavily as the dust scattered about the air.

"Are you alright?" He asked nervously.

"I'm fine, Elijah." I insisted. "It's just dusty. This house is ancient."

"Well it should serve our purposes." Elijah began. "It's a sanctuary from our business in the Quarter. Right now, you are the most important person in this family. You need a great home."

"You flatter me." I told him with a chuckle.

"I have to apologise." He said to me with a sombre look. "In all this time, I never asked how you felt about this."

"About having a miracle baby with a psychotic hybrid that murdered me and is also sort of my ex even though I have feelings for him and his brother?"

"About being a mother." He corrected and I instantly turned away from him.

"My mom died when I was 16." I answered. "And it's not like we had a great relationship before then either. There were times when I really thought we hated each other and then she was gone. So all I know about being a mother, is that I'm probably gonna suck at it."

"Take it from me." He began. "Your family can fight for years on end, but when push comes to shove, you all know you love each other."

"Really?" I asked sceptically. "Because I told Elena I hated her and she believed me."

"That's just because you are a phenomenal actress." He said, causing the both of us to chuckle before I turned sad knowing that this baby would put a significant dent in my career.

"Not anymore."

"What changed your mind?" Elijah asked me. "Why did you decide to keep it?"

"Focus on one thing." I answered, repeating Stefan's words to Elijah. "Stefan said that to Elena and she focused on her hatred for Katherine. I couldn't think of anything. My whole life is falling apart. But I figured if I kept this baby, I'd at least have you and Klaus."

Elijah walked up to me and used him hand to caress my cheek and I sighed tiredly. "I meant what I said before. I will always be there for you. And I will always protect you. With or without the baby. You have my word on that."

"And noble Elijah always keeps his word." Klaus said as he walked in the room, causing Elijah to step away from me.

"Is it done?" Elijah asked curtly.

"As a matter of fact, yes." Klaus answered. "Your underhanded deal worked quite well. Marcel was only too happy to accept my blood even as he accepted my heartfelt apologies. His man, Thierry, yet lives and I remain a welcome guest in the French Quarter. My only concern now is this coven of impudent witches."

"I believe them to be honourable." Elijah told us. "Although, they haven't been entirely forthcoming. Marcel obviously has something that they need. They don't want him dead. There must be a reason why."

~Klaus POV~

"I learnt that in addition to the secret weapon he uses to control the witches, Marcel has assembled a small army of vampires. Working together, we can destroy them from the inside." Elijah told his brother as the two of them spoke in their lounge.

"And what of Rebekah?" Klaus asked. "Has she stopped her pouting long enough to join the fun?"

"She has made her disinterest quite clear."

"One too many times daggered and shoved in a box, I gather?" Klaus replied with a chuckle. "Or perhaps she doesn't share your unwavering belief that I can be saved."

"She may surprise us yet." Elijah insisted. "After all, we all swore the same vow."

"I hope she stays far away. Because in my desire to reclaim this town, to steal from Marcel that which he holds most dear, I have realised one massive vulnerability. One weakness that Marcel could exploit."

"Which is?"

"You." Klaus pushed the dagger into Elijah's chest and his brother groaned in pain. "Forgive me, my brother. There is no power in love. Mercy makes you weak. Family makes you weak. If I am going to win this war, I have to do it alone."

A/N: I hope you enjoyed! If you did, please vote, comment and follow! Love you as always, until next time! X