Chapter 53: I Hate Midnight

~Klaus POV~

When Klaus returned home, he was immediately greeted by a scowling Elijah. His older brother was sporting blood red hands and a rage that still hadn't quite quelled.

"Well I see you've already avenged Iliana." Klaus began. "But judging by your look, you're still out for blood."

"If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results, then then surely my quest for your salvation makes me the maddest man alive." Elijah began disappointedly.

"What horrible deed has the bastard done this time?" Klaus asked with a roll of his eyes.

"Do you know, in the past, I actually appreciated the methods to your manipulations?" Elijah continued. "However, now, here we are, poised on the brink of a new era which will benefit not only your home but your child, and you go behind my back to conspire with wolves."

"Conspire is hardly the word I would use for a family council." Klaus replied scoffing. "Lest you forget, Elijah, they are my family as much as any Mikaelson. A name, in truth, I cannot even call my own."

"How casually you disavow 1,000 years of allegiance towards you." The brunette sneered.

"And now that I've found the remnants of my other family, am I to ignore their plight? I would've thought you'd support my desire to help them, when in doing so, I help my child." Klaus said smirking at him.

"How dare you question my allegiance to that child?" Elijah snapped.

"And I suppose your affection for Iliana has nothing to do with your tireless dedication." Klaus said with a callous roll of his eyes. "You think I didn't see you tonight? How you cared for her? Calling out her name in the darkness. The zeal with which you would destroy those who would harm her."

"I have denied every single impulse I have ever had for that woman. Out of some misbegotten respect for intentions that you hardly even seem to have." Elijah shot back but questioning his love for Iliana was Klaus' last straw.

"I am warning you—"

"No, I am warning you." Elijah interrupted, pushing his younger brother back. "I've forgiven you. I have stood by you. I've forsaken every single one of my desires in the name of your ridiculous redemption. No more. If I want something, I'll take it. And nothing—no one—will stand in my way."

And as Elijah stormed out, Klaus looked up at the clock. It was almost twelve and there were hardly any pillars left to fall.

~Cami POV~

Cami was in the backroom, cleaning up, when she started prancing around happily as for the first time in a long time there was finally hope for her uncle.

"You seem in high spirits." Klaus said when he arrived.

"Klaus?" She asked in confusion. "What are you doing here?"

"I came here to apologise." He said quietly. "I've made a grave mistake."

"Whatever you did, Klaus, I can be mad at you in the morning." She told him. "I went to see Genevieve and—"

"I know." He interjected, swallowing thickly. "She was moved by your plea. She may even have cured Kieran. But I insulted her. And as a means of revenge, she is refusing him aid."

"What?" The blonde asked in disbelief. "No, no, no. This can't be it."

"Kieran will die because of me, and it will be a horrible death." Klaus continued.

"Why are you telling me this?" She asked, pained by his honesty.

"Because I believe that secrets are a poison. They need to be spat out. Like your secret... about your time with Marcel."