Chapter 31: Locked In And Knocked Up

~Elijah POV~

Elijah and Hayley had returned from the Bayou, where he had been tormented by his feelings for Iliana the whole time. Something Hayley had clearly caught on to. To add to his problems Rebekah had not been answering his calls.

"So, are you and Iliana a thing?" Hayley asked.

"It's complicated." Elijah murmured reluctantly.

"Okay, but when you say it's complicated, do you mean that nothing will ever happen, or do you mean you're waiting until something can?" Hayley asked directly.

"What do you mean?"

"I think you know exactly what I mean." The wolf countered with a raised brow. "I'm just saying it now so we're clear. Because I won't be okay playing number two forever."

"Hayley—"

"Has Rebekah picked up yet?" She asked, changing the subject, much to the Original vampire's delight.

"No."

"Are you worried about whoever killed those daywalkers?" She continued.

"Frankly, I'm worried that she had something to do with this. She's very displeased with Niklaus, perhaps even conspiring with others." Elijah replied, before noticing Thierry sitting alone.

"What are you doing?" Hayley asked as he stalked up to the newly freed vampire.

"Thierry is it?"

"That's right."

"My sister is rather fond of you." Elijah began. "Strange, she's not typically drawn to unremarkable men. Would you care to explain your sudden magnetism?"

"I don't know what you're—"

Elijah rolled his eyes and simply grabbed him by throat and pushed him up against the wall, tired of the pretences.

"Please don't make me do something I'd regret." Elijah threatened.

"She asked me to keep an eye out on witch stuff. I found something, and when I showed her, we were jumped by some guy. He desiccated her with his touch." Thierry explained with a sigh.

"And you left her there, like the little bitch you are." Hayley said with a glare.

"What was I supposed to do?" Thierry asked indignantly. "Take on a warlock that beat an Original?"

"Where?"

"The docks." The vampire answered. "I was just doing what she asked. You cannot tell Klaus about this, please!"

Elijah pondered his request for a moment before snapping his neck and dropping his body onto the floor.

"I'll take that into consideration."

He headed for the door and Hayley scampered to keep up with him. "I'm coming with you. If he took down Rebekah, he can take down you."

"And you." Elijah said in alarm. "I don't want you to get hurt. You'll be safe in the compound."

"You and Rebekah have been nice to me when you didn't have to." Hayley said determinedly. "If either of you are in trouble, I'm going."

Elijah paused for a moment and sighed before nodding in agreement. "Don't leave me sight."

"Wouldn't dream of it."

~Marcel POV~

Marcel was still with Cami and Melody at the bar where he was telling them the story of Papa Tunde and how he came to fall at the hands of Klaus.