Chapter 59: The Last Leg

~Klaus POV~

Klaus was now in his study, nursing a glass of bourbon as he thought to the state of his chaotic life now. His phone rang and he sighed before picking up Marcel's call.

"Klaus, you have to know I had nothing to do with those explosions in the bayou." Marcel rambled out quickly.

"I never thought you did." Klaus said with a sigh. "The priest is dead. Your exile is suspended for the next 24 hours. You may return to the Quarter to bury your friend."

"Why are you doing this?"

"Camille woke in the dark not knowing where she was, or who was watching over her." Klaus murmured glumly. "It was your name she called, and if you can grant her comfort, so be it."

"Thank you."

"Hm."

"I'm sorry. About what Fiore did." Marcel added. "I just know if I could have talk to her then—"

"We both know Fiore will do whatever Fiore wants to do." Klaus told him with a sigh. "Not a thing you or I could have done about it."

"Do you think she's sorry?"

"I know she is." He said with a shrug. "Even if she'll never say it."

"Yeah." Marcel commiserated with a wry laugh. "She was never good at that."

"Do you remember when she broke the vase?" Klaus asked him. "And was so angry that we had accused her—"

"Of what we had both seen happen right in front of us!"

"Yes, exactly and she broke every single vase in the house!" Klaus finished, causing the two men to laugh.

"How could I forget?" Marcel replied. "I don't buy vases anymore."

"Nor me."

As the laughter died down between the one-time family, the two came to settle into their sad silence as they remembered they were on opposing sides now.

"It wasn't all bad, was it?" Klaus asked, hoping his nerves were disguised.

"No, no it wasn't." Marcel reassured.

Satisfied with his response, Klaus hung up the phone and let Marcel go be with Cami. He had his own family to deal with.

"That sounded pleasant." Iliana said as she walked into his study.

"You sound surprised."

"Last I heard, you and Marcel were on the outs."

"We are." The hybrid said with a shrug. "But that doesn't change the past."

"No, it doesn't."

"I want to apologise." Klaus began to Iliana's surprise. "About what I said earlier. I didn't even mean it, I just—"

"I had hurt you." Iliana said knowingly. "And you wanted me to hurt too."

"Perhaps."

"You know, Fiore said you were sleeping with Genevieve to hurt me."

"I was."

"I know that." The brunette said with a soft laugh. "She told me the best way to get back at you would be to have even louder sex with Elijah."

"Fiore knowing exactly how to push my buttons is no surprise."

"She was wrong though." Iliana continued apologetically. "Because I think the one person that hurt you more was her."