Chapter 2: Breakfast

It was before dawn and you got hardly any sleep. Instead of returning to camp, knowing a forced apology would be awaiting you, you transformed into a cat and climbed up the nearest tree, opting to sleep there instead. You had trekked quite the distance, feeling this was probably better.

You sighed to yourself as you saw a few bombs spawning in the distance.

Daemons always made you curious. They were creatures who attacked any living organism in their path, with no true ulterior motive. While pondering their existence, you began questioning your own. Noctis' words really struck you deep, and you couldn't imagine ever getting along with such a negative person. The others seemed to be quite nice, but you weren't sure whether it was genuine or not. All that you knew was that they didn't exactly defend you from all the rude comments Noctis didn't hesitate in sending your way. Seeing the bombs disappear one by one, you sighed heavily. It was time to face the music.

When you arrived back at camp, you saw there was a plate covered with cling wrap left on the portable stove. You lit another fire and sat by it, eating the delicious meal, and reminding yourself to thank the talented chef, secretly hoping it wasn't Noctis.

You watched the sunrise after finishing your meal and cleaning your plate, not really wanting to be in a cramped car with the Prince. Deciding to see how they were when you weren't present, you transformed yourself back into a cat, continuing to enjoy the slight warmth of the rising sun. Ignis was the first to leave the tent, with Gladio following not too long after.

"Gladio... You didn't happen to hear anyone during the night did you?" Ignis asked, staring at the clean plate and cutlery.

"Nope. Not a peep. Why?" Gladio replied as he was doing push-ups.

"(Your Name)'s plate is empty and everything has been cleaned," Ignis replied, making Gladio stop mid-push up and look at him.

"So... You're asking if I heard the lil' missy eat her dinner?"

"Yes,"

"Nope. And she's nowhere to be seen?"

"Yes,"

You watched in amusement as the shield got up and headed over to Ignis with a stern look on his face. They scanned the area, with both pairs of eyes eventually landing on you. You gulped forgetting you were currently a cat.

"Well I can't imagine a cat cleaning a plate," Ignis sighed, turning back to the stove to prepare breakfast.

"Makes you wonder how this lil' kitty survives around here," Gladio commented, heading into the tent, no doubt to wake up the two younger boys.

A few grumbles and protests could be heard from inside before the three exited the tent. Wondering whether they'd be any different without you around, you watched Prompto and Noctis as they stretched and yawned.

"There are better ways to wake us up ya know," Prompto yawned.

"Nothing like the feeling of not being able to breathe," Noctis sounded like his usual sarcastic self. How did any of the other guys deal with it so casually?

"Considering your behavior towards our female companion was revolting. I'd say whatever method Gladio used sounded quite appropriate," Ignis retorted with an unimpressed look on his face, making Noctis groan.

"What is it about (Your Name) you have against anyway?" Prompto asked.

"Nothing. It's just annoying that my dad insisted on bringing her with us. Imagine how that's going to look to Luna when we arrive in Altissia?" Noctis reasoned, earning a chuckle from Gladio.

"So you think the lil' missy is pretty enough to have the Oracle of Tenebrae jealous?" Gladio's question made you feel shyer than usual. You didn't see yourself as pretty, so you weren't too sure whether to take Gladio's comment lightly or not.

"She is pretty," Prompto sighed with a dreamy look on his face, "If she weren't so shy, I'd ask to take a photo with her,"

"You can say her shy nature is a part of her charm. I'm sure she's a lot more open with those who are closer to her," Ignis commented.

"Cid seems to know about (Your Name)," Prompto mentioned, "Maybe she had a tough upbringing,"

"With the way Cid is so protective of her, it wouldn't surprise me," Gladio commented.

"Noct, I'm not saying you gotta be chummy with her or anything. But try and be nice to (Your Name) okay? She's going to be traveling with us for a while," Prompto suggested, biting his lip.

"Got it," Noctis replied, looking a little downtrodden by his best friend's words, "That's if she comes back at all,"

"You think we should go look for her?" Prompto asked.

"She's a smart girl. She was already in Hammerhead when she disappeared on us last time," Gladio assured.

"Yes, but that doesn't solve the mystery of her dinner being eaten and her utensils all cleaned up," Ignis said, holding up your plate.

"A phantom?" Prompto looked like he didn't like his own suggestion, shuddering and hugging himself dramatically.

"Where'd the cat come from?" Noctis asked, now coming closer and peering into your face. You pulled your face back, unable to deny his handsome features were enchanting to look at. His crystal eyes searched you carefully, his brow furrowed in concentration.

"Dunno. It was chilling here when we got up," Gladio replied.

"Naw! It's so cute!" Prompto gushed, breaking out of his cowardly quiver. He took a few quick photos of you, before reaching cautiously to pet you. You leaned your head into his hand and immediately relaxed as he scratched a good spot on your neck. Your eyes moved back to the Prince who was still watching you carefully.

"So what you wanna do? You wanna go look for (Your Name) or just wait here?" Prompto asked, stroking your back gently now. You shuddered at his touch, forgetting that you were human as you indulged in his affection.

"We should wait," Ignis suggested, still cooking breakfast, "She can't have gone far, plus she should be hungry if she didn't eat her dinner,"

"I guess," Was all Noctis said, reaching down to try and pet you himself. You felt yourself unconsciously shudder as he began scratching just under your chin.

"You're gonna have to be nice to her from now on though. Otherwise, she may not want to come back," Prompto warned.

"Yeah I know," Noctis mumbled.

"Mind you," Ignis began, as he continued tossing whatever breakfast was in the frying pan, "Considering that (Your Name) had a good argument last night. I'd say Noct may be starting to take a shine to her,"

"What are you on about Specs?" Noctis asked, retreating his hand from you and standing up.

"Why did you warp to break her fall? The way she spoke made it sound like she's fallen from greater heights than the edge of a haven," Ignis explained.

You watched in amusement as Noctis opened his mouth to argue, only for no words to come out. Seeing that he had nothing, Ignis smirked as he turned back to continue cooking.

Feeling you had seen enough, you stretched a little before scampering off and transforming back. You actually dreaded returning to the group, finding it easier to join them as an animal instead. But they knew nothing of your abilities. Telling them as such wasn't an option, having had the unpleasant experience of being outcasted by your classmates in Lucis. It wasn't considered normal to be able to turn into a cat whilst in the middle of class. Stretching again, you took in some of the morning fresh air, before making the slow walk back to where the four young males awaited your safe return.