Chapter 45: Peace

Vesta's words echoed in Noctis' mind, unleashing all the worries he awoke with. Were you really in Insomnia? Were you held captive by Ardyn? Or was there more to what Vesta meant?

Every time Noctis saw you in small snippets, you looked fine, donning different outfits each time and happy as ever. Why did Vesta make it sound like you were being held against your will? The very thought made Noctis more anxious than he already was, and more eager to leave. However, that took time.

Elena and Prompto couldn't just leave their two children to fend for themselves. So once they were ready, Talcott and a few other hunters offered to escort them back to Lestallum. Although they were certain Fai and Vesta were in good hands, their parent's still worried about the troop's safety. With how dangerous the last leg of their journey was going to be, Noctis knew he was asking a lot of his companions to stand alongside him. There was a chance they would be inundated with the strongest daemons they've ever faced, and the chance of suffering casualties was high. Pushing that aside, he felt privileged especially with all that was at stake.

At present they were camping at the closest haven to Insomnia, preparing themselves for what lay ahead. What made the mood slightly lighter was that they were reunited with Hale, Matias, and Fior. As they all caught up, it was Hale's unwavering faith that you would return that made Noctis all the more determined, for the group to be whole again - at least for one last time.

Noctis didn't spare any details when sharing what Bahamut had told him during his time inside the crystal. Seeing the sadness across all of their faces meant they realized that even if you came back, he would be no longer with them. It broke Noctis. He felt cheated. But like the rest, he knew there were bigger things than his reunion with you. Noctis was sure you were well aware of your fate, perhaps long before he knew himself. Which explained why you were so reluctant to let your feelings for him fly freely at first.

"Better to have loved than not loved at all right?" Ignis said with his usual knowledgable smile. Noctis nodded slowly in response.

"She spoke to me about her inner turmoil. After we left Cape Caem actually," Fior shared. "The moment she heard Gladio's whistle, I knew she was torn on what was the right thing to do,"

"I'm guessing the consequences would have been dire if she had chosen to return?" Ignis asked.

"Perhaps?" Fior shrugged. "To be honest, it made me feel lonely that the same little girl who depended on Hale and I so much, had grown to depend on another man. But having seen how determined she was to support you to fulfill your role Your Maj. I couldn't be any prouder of her,"

"She was no longer the isolated, shy girl who was scarred from her past. But an independent warrior who accepted everything and what the future held for her," Hale added, closing his eyes and looking up at the sky as if sending a message or prayer to wherever you were.

"(Your Name) wasn't always that shy girl. But she became way more open after spending time with you guys than when we were kids," A fond memory must have come to Fior's mind; he was grinning to himself as he spoke.

"Oneechan is coming back. I know it. She'll come back when it's right," Elena declared strongly. "If Oniichan says I'm like a mini version of her, then she won't accept being separated from you as long as it has, only to receive a brief reunion. If it were me, I'd be fighting in any way I can to ensure I'm reunited with my man for good," Elena finished gripping Prompto's shoulder tightly and kissing the side of his head before sitting on the ground next to him.

"Stubborn is an accurate description," Hale grunted. "But she must have meant something more than just puppy love for her to speak to me in that way," Matias smirked at Hale's disapproving comment.