Chapter 42: Answers

If Noctis received a gil for every time he wished daemon's didn't spawn and they didn't, he'd be broker than a homeless man. Running through the maze to reach the hanger had almost drained the very energy you had restored. However, thanks to you, Elena was permitted to join the fray. All while the rest worked together like a well-seasoned troop to eliminate all the enemies.

Yet Noctis wasn't ready for what was unfolding before him.

Daemons were flying from every direction. The ratio for each member was almost five daemons to one. And what was everyone telling the Young King of Lucis to do? Run for the hills.

"I AM NOT LEAVING YOU ALL HERE TO FEND FOR YOURSELVES!" Noctis yelled angrily.

"OH YES YOU ARE!" Hale growled, taking down the nearest batch of goblins before glancing at Noctis sternly. "I won't be able to face (Your Name) if you are stuck here and unable to fulfill your calling,"

"We can handle these guys! We've had worse remember?" Prompto called as he took a few shots at a charging daemon, right before Elena bit into its neck and threw it away from her love.

"Don't worry about us! You need to get to the crystal!" Ignis called, leaping backward from a serpent.

"Damn it..." Noctis glanced quickly at each and every one of them, finally catching Hale's eye. Hale nodded and then proceeded to create an opening for Noctis to dart towards the steel elevator. He warped the far majority of the way, wanting nothing more than to retrieve the crystal and see you again. But like the rest, he knew the battle was far from over. A sense of relief overcame him as he approached the crystal, it's morbid glow getting brighter.

"Please... help me get rid of these bloody daemons, and... bring her back to me," Noctis pleaded, causing the crystal to grow brighter. Just when he had a little ounce of hope from its reaction, his outstretched hand was tugged closer into the crystal's center. "What?!" Noctis tried pulling his hand back, only to be continued to be dragged into the crystal.

"Chosen King indeed," Ardyn's drawling voice came in. Noctis looked over his shoulder to see Ardyn smirking triumphantly, leaning casually against the rail. "Killing you now would give me pleasure, however killing you both would give me more satisfaction," Both? "Do gather your strength young King," Ardyn advised with a mocking smile. "I'd like to think my descendant can grant me a battle fitting for the Chosen King,"

"Descendant?"

"Two young royals took it upon themselves to protect the lands they had conquered," Ardyn began, taking full advantage of the crystal sucking Noctis in ever so slowly. "The older one, dedicated to freeing the people from darkness, took the darkness into his own body, only to be rejected by the said crystal and banished by his own brother,"

Noctis began fearing the worst, as Ardyn locked eyes with him as he struggled against the crystal.

"Although I introduced myself earlier on Your Majesty, I believe I hadn't told you my birth name," Noctis held his breath as Ardyn smirked. "Ardyn Lucis Caelum,"

"What?!"

"Do take your time getting strong Your Majesty. I'd hate to think that after waiting for so long, you'd be a disappointment to all who have such high hopes for you," Ardyn concluded with a mocking bow. Noctis was engulfed by the morbid light of the crystal, only to find himself floating in what looked like a mystical galaxy.

Damn it.

Noctis had never expected Ardyn to drop the bombshell he did. There was no way to ever anticipate which side Ardyn was on. He was the Chancellor for the Empire, yet had led Noctis and the rest to many turning points of their journey. What worried him was that it almost felt like Ardyn was helping them, yet allowing them to succeed for his master plan to pan out perfectly. What burned deep within the young King was the many people who had been sacrificed for such a feat.