Chapter 39: Official

To say Noctis was exhausted would be an understatement.

While the reunion of the squad had been a highlight since entering Graela. Noctis could definitely say, after everything they had been through since leaving Lucis, right now would be by far, the worst of the trip. Right after they had destroyed the machinery behind the Lucian powers being blocked, a new obstacle presented itself.

Elena was transformed into a Coeurl, yet the difference between the shapeshifter they knew and the one that stood before them, was her blood red eyes. It was evident to the young men that Elena was unfortunately under the control of the empire. The recounts of your nightmares were enough to make an educated guess.

"What do we do?!" Noctis asked, dodging another swipe from Elena who then turned to pounce at Gladio nearby.

"I dunno, but we gotta think of something fast!" Gladio grunted, pushing against Elena with his shield. "There is no way we'll last if we try wearing her down,"

"Surely there is a way to settle her or at least get the serum out of her," Ignis seemed just as lost as the rest. No one wanted to hurt Elena, but they didn't want to end up dead either.

"This is exactly how their parents must have felt," Noctis muttered.

"What to do mean by that?" Prompto asked from the distance.

"Remember what Fior told us when we left for Altissia?" Noctis prompted.

"Their parents ended up fighting one another," Gladio recounted, "Only for their father to come back to his senses and realize he killed his own wife,"

"No!" The worry on Prompto's face told Noctis he refused to leave Elena at the hands of Ardyn. It would have been the same should Noctis has been in his place.

"Then what do we do?" Noctis asked, warping from one place to another in an attempt to distract Elena; it wasn't working. A screech could be heard in the distance. A griffon flew in and landed in the space between Elena and the rest. Another griffon joined the fray by standing protectively in front of Noctis.

The griffon standing in front of Noctis transformed to reveal a rather disheveled looking Hale. He looked almost as exhausted as they were. When he turned back to look at Noctis, the young King saw there was anger burning in Hale's eyes. Noctis knew only too well, the scene before them came too close to home. There was little both parties could do, having made no progress with Elena. It was made all too apparent that there was only one option at this rate. No matter how much everyone else wished it weren't the case.

"I know you're aware what we have to do Your Majesty," Hale said, struggling to keep his voice calm.

"I wish we didn't have to," Noctis muttered.

"I refuse to let my little sister be used as an experiment by the empire. And I'm sure she feels the same," Hale sounded like he was trying to find his resolve.

"I know you wish more than anything to do this another way," Noctis assured, clasping a hand on the man's shoulder. "Where is Luna?"

"She is still in Tenebrae, with Fior,"

"The only man for such a job," Noctis sighed, "And the only men for the job here is us,"

"You sound like a wise King Your Majesty," Hale smirked, "I'm impressed,"

"Thanks, I guess?"

"GUYS! INCOMING!" Gladio yelled as Elena leaped over the smaller Griffon in front, charging at them.

"She will understand," Hale mumbled, before transforming into a Griffon once again, screeching loudly and causing Elena to halt before him. For a split second, Noctis noticed her eyes flicker in familiarity. A gunshot rung through, hitting Elena on her right front leg. She roared in pain, directing her attention to where the gunshot came from. The only one in the group, yet the least likely to take that shot.