Chapter 51: Tattoos

The darkness that followed your staff piercing through the both of you didn't last long. You looked around in sheer panic, realizing you were alone in what seemed like a field. Is this the afterlife? You took a few strides forward, only to stop when a figure materialized nearby.

From what you could see, he was male, tall, and had scruffy dark brown hair, tied into a tiny ponytail. What made you more curious was that he was wearing clothes typically worn by a person who lived in Lahsa; brown leather pants, with a similar leather vest and cotton long sleeve shirt. The male must have sensed your presence as he looked over his shoulder to look at you. To describe the male's expression, pride and amusement would be the words you'd use. You felt like you were looking at an older version of Matias, there was an air of mischief to him. Although you didn't know this fellow, he didn't feel like a stranger to you. You stood still as the male turned to properly face you. You imagined your eyes were probably as wide as saucers after getting a proper look at him.

"Well done in finding your way here kiddo," The male praised grinning broadly. Kiddo? You frowned. You didn't know anyone who called you so familiarly with that nickname. He laughed when you got into a fighting stance, shaking his head and walking towards you. You stood your ground, while slightly panicking as the male drew closer. "You needn't be worried about me," He laughed, pushing his sleeves up past his elbows and opening his arms wide to show you his forearms. "Surely you know who I am," He assured tenderly.

You glanced at his forearms, easing your position and your gaze slowly moving from the left to the right. The very sight of them triggering a memory with your mother.

"Mama. Tell me more!" A five-year-old you asked, dancing around your mother and making her giggle.

Swallowing slowly and your eyes locking with his, you slowly made your way to him. Your heart beating rapidly against your chest. You could feel a swirl of emotions coursing through you, as the memory continued replaying in your mind.

"He is handsome, funny and cool, especially his tattoos,"

"Tattoos? What kind of tattoos?"

"Besides the tribal ones you receive from initiation. He has my name on his arm,"

"Wow... he must really love you!"

You eyes scanned his right forearm, seeing your Mother's name, largely written in the traditional runes used by your kind. You hesitantly reached out and traced your finger along the characters. You let out a pained sigh as you looked up at him, seeing a similar expression his face.

"Yes. And when you were still in my tummy, he made the promise to have your name on his other arm too,"

Your gaze moved to his left forearm, which was slightly lowered for you to see closely. True to the promise made, there it was. Your name, beautifully written in the same fashion as your mother's. The slight fading on both told you that your name was likely to be as old as your mother's.

"... After all this time. This is where I get to meet you?" You asked, feeling a lump in your throat as tears blurred your vision.

"I guess so kiddo," The male responded, also choking with emotion. You immediately hugged him tightly, crying into his chest as he gently wrapped his arms around you, resting his chin on the top of your head. This man was the very man who captured your dear mother's heart, gave you life together with her, and was now hugging you.

"Where have you been this entire time?" You asked after you had calmed down from your emotional realization.

"I've been here," Your father replied simply, holding you out for him to take a good look at you. "You've grown heaps since I last saw you,"