Chapter 11: Entering Malmalam Thicket

Your birthday party had put everyone in high spirits, especially Prompto who had been non-stop boasting of its success. You also noticed that every time he locked eyes with you, an all-knowing grin would form on his face. It didn't help to see Noctis receive the same treatment. Choosing to ignore the worrying signals Prompto was giving you, you continued doing your best in supporting the Royal Entourage in collecting all the Royal arms. You couldn't help but stare in awe each time Noctis received them. The white glow that emitted from each one fascinated you and made you feel warm. You weren't entirely sure as to why you felt warm, and you didn't think to talk to any of the boys about it. What you also didn't understand were the dreams you were having lately. Quite often being past memories with your family in the village you grew up in. They were pleasant, often showing you what your mother, uncle and auntie often told you when you were younger. The fond memories often lingered after waking up, making you smile a lot more often.

"(Your Name) did something good happen to you recently?" Prompto asked curiously as you were walking through Malmalam Thicket.

"Huh? Like what?" You asked confused.

Prompto shrugged in response. "You just look happier as the day goes by,"

"Maybe she's gonna pull a prank on us," Gladio teased from up ahead.

"I wouldn't!" You huffed, hearing all four men chuckle. A breeze passed through the trough you all were walking in. The scent of Sampaguitas reached your nose. Before anyone could say anything you broke out in a run towards the scent, seeing a hooded figure scaling the cliff edges with ease. It didn't help the hooded figure had the same familiar scent on the flower you received in Lestallum. You quickly transformed into a Coeurl and gave chase.

"(Your Name)! Wait!" Prompto called out to you, his voice fading as you continued pursuing the strange figure.

You didn't stop until you reached a clearing which funny enough had a haven to your left. Your eyes spotted the cloaked figure hanging casually from one cliff edges. You growled loudly, hoping the boys heard you, only to be taken back when you saw a familiar white glow from underneath the cloak: the unknown person was a shapeshifter like you.

A Mandrake stood before you, bearing its fangs at you as it growled. You swiped at the Mandrake, missing by a hair as it dodged your attack. It growled defensively at you before retreating a little, only to push off a nearby tree trunk and launch itself at you. Instead of dodging you transformed into a Behemoth, swatting away the Mandrake effortlessly thanks to your enormous size. You swiped at the Mandrake after transforming back into a Coeurl, putting your opponent on the defensive. What you hadn't counted on was Noctis warping up ahead of the group and joining in the fray. He managed to get a good hit on the Mandrake, only to be sent flying backward when another two Mandrakes charged in to the shapeshifter's rescue. The others soon joined readying their weapons to assist. Whereas judging from the movement of the other two Mandrake's, you had a hunch they were potentially shapeshifters too.

Noctis leaned up only to stay perfectly still as you stood over him protectively, growling at the Mandrakes who ignored you, slowly approaching you and Noctis. The guys stood staggered in front of you both, ready to attack. As you watched them carefully, you saw the center Mandrake quickly glance to the Mandrake on its left - confirming your hunch. You relaxed your body and transformed back to human form, still crouched over Noctis. All three Mandrakes' eyes widened as you glared at them with unwavering confidence. The Mandrakes stared back at you, the left snorting in annoyance, before all three running up the walls of the trough and disappearing.

"(Your Name)?" Relaxing a little by the soothing timbre of Noctis' voice, you looked down to see he has propped himself up with his forearms on the ground. His eyes softening the moment yours locked with his. "You can stop shielding me now. Gladio is here and those Mandrakes are gone," He assured with a quick smile. You didn't say a word as you listened to his request. Staring up at the cliffs the Mandrakes ran up, narrowing your eyes having spotted a piece of fabric most likely from the first shapeshifters cloak. Deciding against worrying the rest by climbing up to it, you directed your attention to Prompto who was gawking at you.