Chapter 31: No

Noctis could hardly believe how peaceful it was during Luna's public address, only for it to be uttermost chaos several hours later during evacuation. MT's were flying in left, right and center and what scared Noctis the most was the fact that he hadn't seen you since the morning. Noctis had the enjoyment of falling asleep with you in his arms the previous evening, breathing in the scent of your hair as you slept soundly on his chest. Sure you had done this a few times during your travels, however not openly as a couple. The first time was when your nightmares got the better of you, the other times from you rolling in your sleep. What Noctis would give to have another moment like that right about now.

"Are you okay Noct?" You asked worriedly, cradling either side of his face and lifting it up to look at you. "You seem to have a lot on your mind,"

"I do," Noctis sighed.

"Tell me. What's giving you so much grief?"

"Moments like these are great and all. Especially since our feelings are mutual..." Noctis trailed off, "So why do I keep getting the feeling it's going to be short-lived?" He knew his words bothered you, the crease on your forehead and pout said it all.

"Why so negative all of a sudden?" You asked, peering into his face closely, "You were having a great time at dinner," Noctis brought you closer to him, wrapping his arms around your waist. He broke your hold on his face and tucked it in the crook of your neck. He knew you weren't going to say much. He knew it would potentially affect everyone if you shared any more than you had already. Despite all the wonderful moments he had shared with you so far, why did he feel cheated?

"Noctis..."

"(Your Name). Promise me you'll come straight back to me when this is all done," He felt you stiffen, confirming exactly what he had been fearing since separating from you at Cape Caem.

"Noctis..."

"Promise me,"

"I..." Your voice broke as Noctis pulled back from you. He knew he had upset you. That wasn't necessarily his intentions, but he couldn't bear the thought that this could be the last time you two would have time to yourselves. It upset him more knowing you were taking all this on your own. Weren't you scared? Noctis gave in, seeing the tears form in your eyes. You bit the inside of your lip trying your best to hold them back.

"Okay. I get it. I'm sorry," Noctis apologized, kissing your forehead as you hugged his torso tightly.

You shook your head, resting your forehead on his chest. "No."

"Huh?"

"I'm the one who should be sorry Noct," Noctis hushed you, tightly hugging your shoulders and resting his cheek at the top of your head. If this was well and truly one of the limited times he had with you. He'd gladly spend it holding you tightly in his arms.

He groaned as another batch of MT's began charging at him. If this was the best attempt they had in preventing him or any of the others to get to the Altar of the Tidemother, it was getting annoying. He seamlessly made it through the building, picking up his phone when it began ringing.

"Odd time to be calling me," Noctis grumbled, stomping out of the hallway and onto the balcony.

"Hardly the time for outlining preferred calling times," Prompto sighed, "Jump off the balcony buddy! I'll get you to the Altar!" Prompto's instructions bewildered him, but he did as he was told. Only to be whizzed away on what looked to be a vehicle of the empire.

"Do you even know how to drive this thing?" Noctis asked curiously, gripping on the side for dear life.

"Sure?" Prompto joked making Noctis roll his eyes. "All right. Next stop, Altar of the Tidemother!"

It didn't take long for Prompto to work out how to steer the contraption properly, for which Noctis was thankful for. As he neared the center of the chaos, the size of the Leviathan had him worried for yours, Luna's and Elena's safety. Nonetheless, he thanked Prompto quickly before leaping from the vehicle and towards the sea goddess.

Fighting the Levithan proved more troublesome than when he first faced off against the Titan. He could probably use lightning to give him the advantage, but not knowing where you and the rest were worried him. He didn't want to zap you all by accident.

Not realizing that he had been lost in his thoughts, the Leviathan successfully whacked him with its tail, screeching loudly assuming his defeat. Noctis groaned in pain, his eyes flickering wide open when he heard something else going on at another part of the ruined altar. He pushed himself up, wincing in pain, in time to see Luna being backhanded by Ardyn. Elena was pushing herself up from the ground, clearly in pain from being thrown herself.

"Oh, Your Highness! Your pretty bride awaits!" Ardyn called, his arrogant smirk on his face as he locked eyes with Noctis. Seething with anger, he pushed himself more to get up, in an attempt to warp over to the girls who were struggling to defend themselves. His anger was soon replaced by fear and worry when he realized you were not present. No... No... No! No!

A familiar growl from atop one of the pillars had Noctis relieved as he caught a glimpse of a Coeurl leaping and landing in between Luna and Ardyn. Feeling weak from the amount of blood he lost from his landing, he could feel his consciousness slipping. A small beam of light shot out from where he last saw you and the girls, only for multiple beams of light to shoot up from all different directions and finally coming towards him as he lay down helplessly. He closed his eyes as the power surged through him, enabling him to call forth the Royal Arms he had collected thus far. Feeling lighter and ready to complete his task at hand, Noctis glanced quickly to where you and the girls were, seeing that you were standing protectively in front of Elena and Luna, donning your white dress. Knowing that you could hold your own and appeared in control of the situation before you, Noctis charged towards the Leviathan with full force, warping at super speed from all different angles of the sea serpent, using what weapons were available to him. He could feel the super-charged power fading as he delivered the last blow, the last of his warping power delivering him towards the very platform you and the girls were situated at.

"Noct?" He heard you call in amidst all the action that unraveled around you all.

"(Your Name)?" He mumbled, doing his best to reach out towards where he heard your voice.

"Hey. I'm right here. Just stay put okay? I have an annoying pest to take care of," You assured. He felt your hand caress his face gently, before hearing you take a few steps away from him.

"Noctis-sama? How are you feeling?" Luna's worried voice chimed in.

"I'm in a lot of pain," Noctis grumbled, "Where is (Your Name)?"

"Is now really the time to be worrying about Oneechan when she told you not to?" Elena sighed. Noctis groaned, seeing a bright white glow, assuming Elena had transformed.

Although Noctis was going in and out of consciousness, he could no doubt hear your voice. Call him crazy, but it was like he was constantly tuned in to your voice. He found comfort in hearing your voice amongst all the explosions still going in Altissia. Before he could even attempt to sit up his worst fear became a reality.

"Oneechan! NO!" Elena cried, scuffling towards where Noctis could only assume was where you were. There was a loud pained groan, soon followed by the sound of someone being slammed against the ground nearby.

"Lunafreya-sama..." Noctis heard you say weakly, "Don't you dare. You promised me,"

"A promise I wouldn't think twice in breaking (Your Name)," Luna replied defiantly.

"Your role is for the King of Lucis," You reminded her.

"But my love and devotion are also to my family," Luna rebutted.

"As is mine," You replied.

"(Your Name)?" Noctis groaned, feeling his strength leave him.

"You need to heal him. Otherwise, he won't recover well afterward. You and I both know this," You continued. Noctis felt a hand clasp around his own, just as his vision was beginning to fail him.

"Stay strong my King," He heard you say. "And know I'll forever be by your side,"

Before he could say anything, everything went black.