Chapter 3: Galdin Quay

Breakfast that morning was awkward as Noctis struggled to get his apology out. What surprised you was that he genuinely wasn't struggling out of pride. It seemed that the young Prince was never one in making good apologies. His cheeks were flushed a little, he was unable to maintain eye contact as he spoke, and his words were only somewhat plausible for a simple sentence. You decided to put the poor boy out of his misery by telling him you were fine, in turn asking if he'd ever had a conversation with a girl before, let alone apologize to one. Your question made his face go several shades darker. He scoffed trying to hide his embarrassment, most especially since the boys were laughing at your witty question. Feeling his embarrassed reaction and lack of response was enough, you moved on to assist Ignis with cleaning up after breakfast.

The next destination was Galdin Quay, a place you had long wanted to visit since you had moved to Lucis. You had seen photos from Cid's travels with King Regis and Clarus, wishing to experience the tropical paradise yourself. Gladio had mentioned there was a haven nearby, which you had no objection in camping at, whereas the Prince and his best friend whined constantly wanting to sleep in proper beds and take a decent shower. Rolling their eyes like parents, Gladio and Ignis promised to stay at the hotel instead, provided the two younger boys shut up.

As you pulled into Galdin Quay, you couldn't contain your excitement. Taking in the scenery before you; Cid had been right in saying that photos could not do justice for the beauty of the place. Seeing it for yourself made you realize Cid's desires for you to see the world. You secretly thanked his close connection with King Regis that you were able to join in for the ride.

Sadly, you knew you weren't going there for leisure, considering Noctis was keen to see his beautiful fiance in Altissia. As you all walked towards the pier where the boats docked, a looming, underdressed figure up ahead made a cold shiver run down your spine. His magenta hair danced in the calming sea breeze, but everything about this figure made you feel the complete opposite to calm. His golden eyes locked to yours, a smirk in amusement as he eyed you from head to toe. You felt almost violated, choosing to shuffle behind Ignis, knowing it wouldn't do much. He gave off a familiar air about him that you couldn't quite put your finger on. But you could swear on your life that you had never crossed paths with the oily character. He informed you all that there were no boats going to Altissia from Galdin Quay, walking through the group and flicking a silver coin towards Noctis' face. Gladio had caught it just in time, with Prompto admiring the design. Your eyes flickered from the coin to the retreating back of the figure.

Like a scene from an old movie, your vision flickered from black and white to back to color. You were sure you hadn't met this fellow before, but why did his retreating back look so familiar?

"(Your Name)?" Prompto's voice channel through your thoughts.

"Mm?" You hummed in response.

"Is everything okay?" He asked, frowning with concern as he looked back at the pier and then back to you.

"I'm... okay," You replied slowly, shaking your head and doing your best to give him a reassuring smile. It seemed to work considering he gave you a small smile back before hampering about soft beds for the evening.

You almost fainted after finding out how much it was to stay at the hotel, right within the Mother of Pearl itself, so begged Ignis to let you camp at the nearby haven to save on gil. While staying in your own room sounded lovely, you weren't quite comfortable if it was at their expense. Ignis wasn't keen on the idea of you camping on your own, to which Gladio offered to camp with you. Ignis didn't look too convinced, considering Gladio was meant to stick by Noctis, whereas because Ignis was going to stay with the two boys, he caved.

"Just a curious question," Gladio asked, as you set up another of your well-made fires at the centre of the haven.

"Yes?" You asked, seeing Gladio's eyes widen in surprise as your immediate response, only for his eyes to soften. It surprised you how such a large young male, given the role as the sworn shield of the Crowned Prince of Lucis, could be so warm.